Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Car wont restart when it's hot (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=303356)

jimmy4me 11-29-2012 09:16 PM

Car wont restart when it's hot

So if I drive the car for like an hour and turn it off to run in somewhere and it sits for say 10 minutes, it will not restart until the temp gauge is all the way back down. It will start but die out until then. It will stay started if I keep my foot on the gas but will die back out once my foot is off the gas. No CEL either and the car does not over heat [xx(] help please [bigcry]

jimmy4me 11-29-2012 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmy4me (Post 4476512)
So if I drive the car for like an hour and turn it off to run in somewhere and it sits for say 10 minutes, it will not restart until the temp gauge is all the way back down. It will start but die out until then. It will stay started if I keep my foot on the gas but will die back out once my foot is off the gas. No CEL either and the car does not over heat [xx(] help please [bigcry]

Oops forgot to mention its a 2001 ZX3 DOHC..... Zetec

my_beautious_ZX3 11-29-2012 11:43 PM

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Your warm engine stall is a common failure mode for older Focii - search the forum using keywords like stall, IAC valve and collapsed PCV tube.

If it's your IAC valve, then here's a long thread with suggestions for when you get ready to do the job:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=262990

good luck!

jimmy4me 11-30-2012 12:01 AM

So I just cleaned the IAC had some carbon build up, cleaned the MAF, new pcv valve & hose...... It only happened every once and a while before, I mean 3 times in 4 years on long road trips. BUT as last week it's happening all the time now. It is as if it's not getting gas on key start up when the car is hot. I can turn it off and start it right back up when it hot, I just cant let it sit for more then 5 minutes or it will not start until the temp gauge is almost all the way down. Does that make sense? It is even happening now after 10 minutes of driving.

I have had been through EVERY problem with this car but not this. UGH!
[???:)]

iminhell 11-30-2012 12:05 AM

Pull the vacuum line on the Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor.
Is there any fuel in the line?
Any drip out?

This sounds like a similar problem I had when my FRPS went bad. Was a bear to diagnose.

doubles 11-30-2012 12:06 AM

welcome to the forum. my guess would be maybe fuel pump going out its getting hot i mean im not sure but i did have that happen to one of mine and come to find out it was the fuel pump was shutting down from getting hot

jimmy4me 11-30-2012 12:07 AM

Gonna try that first thing in the morning [loveff]

jimmy4me 11-30-2012 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doubles (Post 4476858)
welcome to the forum. my guess would be maybe fuel pump going out its getting hot i mean im not sure but i did have that happen to one of mine and come to find out it was the fuel pump was shutting down from getting hot

I have had the fuel pump go out before, actually 3 of them and all three times it would either lose pressure sometime when accelerating or just die while driving. This is weird. No hesitation or change in the idle or anything..... when it finally does start it does run a little ruff though.[scratch]

iminhell 11-30-2012 12:11 AM

If you can log or view fuel pressure with your new scan tool, do so.
It should be right around 39psi.
If the sensor is bad it will read much higher. I was seeing upwards of 80psi; but that was a false reading. It wasn't actually that high, which is why the car still ran well.

doubles 11-30-2012 12:13 AM

hmm I would try as imimhell says try and get a reading on fuel pressure and see what it says