Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Thermostat housing leak question, HELP (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=303347)

Mobsters1972 11-29-2012 07:52 PM

Thermostat housing leak question, HELP

Hi, I am new here and I hope someone can help me. I had the thermostat leak in my 02 svt so I went and replaced it with new parts from Steve at Tousley ford. It fixed the leak against the block but it is now leaking at the temp sensor. I have had it out twice now and I cannot stop it from leaking. This new type sensor has a o-ring for sealing, it looks good to me but it is not doing its job in sealing. Has anyone else had this problem, if so how did you fit it.

I am afraid to tighten it to much in fear I might crack the housing, it There a torque spec for this sensor? I am using the good and tight method.

I called Steve at Tousley Ford and told him about my problem and he is sending me out a new seņor to try.

Ps: the last time I had it out I also put pipe thread sealant on the threads hoping it would help but still no luck.

Thank you for all your help.

Sniper Focus 11-29-2012 09:55 PM

I had the same problem, long story short I bought a pack of o-rings for the Contour sensor. I still have more spares than what I need, so if you need one let me know.

I tried pipe sealant, teflon tape, RTV and nothing worked but the o-ring.

BigRed03 11-29-2012 10:15 PM

Is the the sensor ontop of the housing, or the plug on the underside?

if you bought it from steve, did he not recommend the contour t-stat housing?

Mobsters1972 11-30-2012 04:52 AM

Temp sensor leak

Yes it is the new contour style housing from Steve.

Mobsters1972 11-30-2012 04:53 AM

Sniper focus, do u know what size o
-ring it is?

Sniper Focus 11-30-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mobsters1972 (Post 4477022)
Sniper focus, do u know what size o
-ring it is?

110 Viton o-ring, I had to get a pack of 25, but it was cheaper than a new sensor.

SWEGER 12-10-2012 09:59 PM

My leak is back...really tempted to buy the upgraded housing but do not like the idea of spending $100+ to fix this. How long have yours been holding? What durometer are the ones you ordered?

Size 110 is 3/8" ID, 9/16" OD, and 3/32" thickness right?

Sniper Focus 12-10-2012 10:19 PM

The 110 is for the Contour ECT sensor only, stock uses a 2xx size. I didn't bother with the stock housing because the head side o-ring channel on the housing failed, which is common.

SWEGER 12-10-2012 10:40 PM

Gotcha thanks man...ill probably just end up getting the contour housing. Seems to be the best fix

..:: sleestak ::.. 12-11-2012 08:00 PM

spend the money for the metal housing and be done with it.

fyi - a common cause of cracked housings is a leaky/seeping valve cover gasket. The oil gets hot and goes down the side of the engine, between the housing and motor. The o-ring swells and cracks the housing.