Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   LED dome light issus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=303055)

Mackers91 11-26-2012 08:40 AM

LED dome light issus

OK so i recently put an led bulb in my interior dome light, i have came across a small problem with it, when you have it set to dim when the doors are closed it never actually turns off fully it stays on but its very dim. it there anyway to fix this ?

thanks

sbc17 11-26-2012 10:12 AM

This, believe it or not, is not a "problem". Its the way the light is wired. For some reason there is a slight current going thru the bulb. It is enough to turn on a LED(very dim) but not for a incandescent bulb. It won't drain your battery. When you turn off the car and lock the doors it goes completely off after 10-15 min. Besides being a little annoying while driving at night, its not hurting anything.

I ran into the same situation and figured out that it is harmless.

-sbc

Dukttape 11-26-2012 10:17 AM

All of my interior LEDs do this. A friend of mine told me that the cars electric system is never fully off while the car is running. So while the ignition is on, there is always a little bit of power running thru the wires. Nothing to worry about, but if it does bug you, there are error free LEDs available they just cost more because they have a built-in resistor.

Mackers91 11-26-2012 11:45 AM

Thanks very much for the info lads :)

sbc17 11-26-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mackers91 (Post 4470989)
Thanks very much for the info lads :)

No problem. I wish I could help as much as everybody else on this site has helped me.

The LED being dim while night driving bothered me for a while but I got used to it. Besides, I am to cheap to buy another bulb. Lol

Sniper Focus 11-28-2012 07:31 PM

I might me one of the few guys that doesn't have this "problem", I probably bought one of the more expensive bulbs on the market. It must be error free, I don't remember it's been almost two years.

sbc17 11-28-2012 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniper Focus (Post 4475058)
I might me one of the few guys that doesn't have this "problem", I probably bought one of the more expensive bulbs on the market. It must be error free, I don't remember it's been almost two years.

Yea, you probably lucked out and got a good one.

Marbs 11-28-2012 08:24 PM

It's because LED's take VERY little power to lite-up and there is always a small flow of electricity flowing through. You CAN fix this by installing a resistor(s). The highER quality lights usually come withthe resistor already installed. Mine has been in and dinmly on for years now, you get used to it. It's not worth the hastle of installing a resistor if you ask me.

Sniper Focus 11-28-2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbc17 (Post 4475112)
Yea, you probably lucked out and got a good one.

I know it's not a fluke since have two, one for the rear dome I installed later on. I had the bulb out the other day and it does have two resistors I can see, there really might be four total.

If it ever bothers anyone maybe you could take a pair of male and female spade terminals and make a small jumper harness with a resistor in between. It might be the least fiddly way of adding a resistor.