Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Sound difference minus front muffler (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302939)

wannabe_svt 11-24-2012 02:22 PM

Sound difference minus front muffler
 
I am tempted to put a straight pipe in place of my Magnaflow front muffler but I'm curious as to how it would sound if I did it. My current set up is OBX 4-2-1 header, 18 inch Magnaflow resonator and Borla muffler with 2 1/4" exhaust pipe. Anyone with any input as to how it would sound? I have searched but have no results.

TerryB 11-24-2012 02:34 PM

It will sound great at idle and acceleration. But the obnoxious drone at cruising will drive you crazy and give you a headache. Then you'll wish you never did it. I'm going by experience.

Marbs 11-24-2012 03:06 PM

I have a Draxas header, f2 flex and nothing but a resonator the rest of the way. I LOVE the sound. The drone isn't that bad (if you ask me). The header and flex are 2 1/2 and the MBRP exhaust is 2 1/4. It took a little to get used to the sound, but now I can hardly hear it. Everyone always tells me how loud it is, but it's normal to me.

wannabe_svt 11-24-2012 03:19 PM

Do you have any popping noise on deceleration

iminhell 11-24-2012 03:20 PM

I have yet to hear ANY exhaust on a Focus zetec that I like, even all the setups I've gone through, I hate.
Either too loud or drones or sounds like a wet fart.

Honestly, the FSW Stealth setup is closest to what I'd call the optimal sound, or lack of.


A good system, IMO, will consist of a big resonator and a quality muffler (not Mangaflow). Removing either component makes the car too loud or too raspy.

wannabe_svt 11-24-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TerryB (Post 4468548)
It will sound great at idle and acceleration. But the obnoxious drone at cruising will drive you crazy and give you a headache. Then you'll wish you never did it. I'm going by experience.

Yea that's why I was gonna weld a flange on the pipe so I could keep it reversible if I changed my mind.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iminhell (Post 4468605)
I have yet to hear ANY exhaust on a Focus zetec that I like, even all the setups I've gone through, I hate.
Either too loud or drones or sounds like a wet fart.

Honestly, the FSW Stealth setup is closest to what I'd call the optimal sound, or lack of.


A good system, IMO, will consist of a big resonator and a quality muffler (not Mangaflow). Removing either component makes the car too loud or too raspy.

Ummmm... What's wrong with Magnaflow? it's just my resonator I have a Borla muffler. I have no intention on changing my catback as it is fine to me, I just wanted to experiment. Plus I'm planning to do a SVT swap by next year so I'm sure the sound will change again.

TerryB 11-24-2012 03:59 PM

Here's a straight pipe to save you any extra work or money.
http://www.mandrelexhaustsystems.com...ONTPIPE/Detail

wannabe_svt 11-24-2012 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TerryB (Post 4468646)
Here's a straight pipe to save you any extra work or money.
http://www.mandrelexhaustsystems.com...ONTPIPE/Detail

Thanks cause from what I saw parts alone would've cost me more. the welding would've been free by me lol.

felixthecat 11-24-2012 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TerryB (Post 4468646)
Here's a straight pipe to save you any extra work or money.
http://www.mandrelexhaustsystems.com...ONTPIPE/Detail

I was curious & checked out your link= 3'' exhaust wow, wonder how that sound on a 23? And fit w/ a resonator & a couple of mufflers or 1 big long one. Seems to me 2 mufflers muffull the noise better than one long one.

Focusblackzx5 11-24-2012 08:02 PM

I have the 00-04 2.25'' magnaflow exhaust on my 2005 zx5. (yeah I made it fit ;)...)

It just have the magnaflow muffler. Don't have resonator in front or at the back. The sound is awesome..But I have a duratec, I know it's sounds a lot deeper than a zetec. On the Highway I hear a drone but eh I like it :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:40 PM.


http://www.focusfanatics.com/aboutus/copyright.asp