Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   A better understanding of the 2012 ATX (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302773)

1turbofocus 11-21-2012 07:26 AM

A better understanding of the 2012 ATX

I have been looking into the workings of the 2012 Focus ATX, from what I have found is it is nothing more than a 6 speed straight drive transmission with motors and solenoids working the clutch and synchronizers / gears

This is a picture of the clutch / flywheel / psi plate for the 2012 ATX from Ford
http://www.focusfanatics.com/downloa...ansmission.pdf

You can clearly see the psi plate, throw out bearing, motor for the clutch which replaces the clutch peddle

I am going to take one apart and post some actual pictures of the clutch assy

Its my opinion that if tuning comes out that changing the delays and settings will cure a lot of the ATX issues people are having

More to come

Tom

awsimons 11-21-2012 08:59 AM

I hope we do get tuning so you can mess around with this!

I'm really curious how the flywheel(s) look. If there are two clutches positioned along the axis of the crank, in my mind there would have to be two flywheels also, one for each clutch. I can't visualize how this goes together and can also come apart.

Alan

suss6052 11-21-2012 11:10 AM

Yes the DCT is a dry dual clutch automated manual transmission. I.e. the gears/shafts/ syncronizers are such as those in a 6 speed manual transmission but with the shift drums/motors/servos/actuators to actuate the various gear mesh operations as well as controlling the transition between clutch 1 and clutch 2 under acceleration.

There is a risk of being able to cause damage or a delay in power if/ when it does allow you to skip shift and stay on the same shaft/ clutch however.

No there wouldn't be two flywheels as there is only one clutch interfacing with the engine mating surface at least afaik, I haven't seen the dual clutch assembly taken apart yet however.

awsimons 11-21-2012 01:06 PM

So are the two clutches basically two concentric rings that sit in the same plane and both interface with the same flywheel surface?

Alan

suss6052 11-21-2012 01:29 PM

Independent pressure plates yes, independent flywheels no. Clutches are co-planar as far as I know, not concentric.

Per a diagram in the service manual:
Quote:

Item Description
1 DC clutch actuator motor 1
Comments:
Actuates the clutch for 1st, 3rd and 5th gear via the electromechanical lever actuator 1

2 Electro-mechanical lever actuator 1
3 Engaging disc with engaging bearing 1
Comments:
Actuates the pressure plate for the 1st, 3rd and 5th gear (input shaft (core shaft))

4 Electro-mechanical lever actuator 2
5 Engaging disc with engaging bearing 2
Comments:
Actuates the pressure plate for the 2nd, 4th, 6th gear and reverse gear (input shaft (hollow shaft))

6 DC clutch actuator motor 2
Comments:
Actuates the clutch for 2nd, 4th and 6th gear as well as the reverse gear via the electromechanical lever actuator 2

7 Pressure plate 2
8 Clutch disc 2
9 Driving disc
10 Clutch disc 1
11 Pressure plate 1

The clutch system which is used is a dry double clutch with independent wear adjustment systems. The clutches are disengaged in their rest state. The double clutch is actuated via two electromechanical lever actuators. The clutches are actuated via an engaging unit which comprises two engaging bearings and two engaging discs.

TORQUERULES 11-21-2012 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1turbofocus (Post 4464862)
I have been looking into the workings of the 2012 Focus ATX, from what I have found is it is nothing more than a 6 speed straight drive transmission with motors and solenoids working the clutch and synchronizers / gears

This is a picture of the clutch / flywheel / psi plate for the 2012 ATX from Ford
http://www.focusfanatics.com/downloa...ansmission.pdf

You can clearly see the psi plate, throw out bearing, motor for the clutch which replaces the clutch peddle

I am going to take one apart and post some actual pictures of the clutch assy

Its my opinion that if tuning comes out that changing the delays and settings will cure a lot of the ATX issues people are having

More to come

Tom

That and upgraded clutches would be nice. Right now I sometimes smell clutch when passing hard at the power level I am now...

mustang0 11-22-2012 04:41 AM

It may be very similar to Honda's dual clutch set up in there motorcycle, I have seen pictures and animation of that. Pretty cool how it works.

84Camaro_L69 11-24-2012 02:18 PM

I've had mine for three weeks now, and from a stand still or 2mph, it feels like a manual tranny lifting off the clutch while giving it gas and changing into second gear if the rpms are low and you lift as your turn. I'm guessing that manual-like feel is normal. When coast down hill at 25mph with the cruise control on (lots of speed traps around here) it sometimes downshifts like a manual and sounds like it went from 3rd to 2nd to control the speed and limit it to the set speed. So this is all normal, correct? I haven't shifted it manually with the buttons since the salesman did it during the test drive.

Joeywhat 11-24-2012 02:21 PM

The biggest thing this gearbox needs is the ability to quicken up shifts while using the rocker. It's so annoying to hit the rocker, then wait a full second for the tranny to actually shift. Tightening that up would make a HUGE difference.

Twitchboy 11-24-2012 10:00 PM

Im pretty sure that the reason why the clutch slips so much like a manual especially from a standstill when you first start to accelerate is due to the new dual clutch system their using and depending on how you first accelerate the clutch can drop sporadically and jolts the car forward. It feels like there is a delay when you first press on the peddle and that's from the dual clutch adjusting trying to slip itself into gear. I might not be the mot technically correct with how i'm phrasing this but I think you know what I mean.