Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Another clutch bites the dust (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302746)

Gonzachus 11-20-2012 07:38 PM

Another clutch bites the dust

I know there are a few threads like this but I wanted to share my story. My 2012 Titanium started with the gravel noise about 4 months ago, but it was hard to hear from the inside so I didn't think much of it.

Last week I started getting some shuddering during acceleration so I decided to take it in. I got the call this afternoon that they are replacing both of my clutches and I will be without my car for the week.

Luckily they are fixing the problem, I was worried I might get the "that's how it's supposed to work" speech.

I have never abused the car, mostly highway miles and I am only sitting at 22,000 miles.

I feel like I am in a support group.

Kabigon 11-20-2012 08:32 PM

Look at it this way:

Common sense would tell you that the transmission seal that they are replacing has been redesigned (improved).
That means it is likely that it is only a matter of when (and not if) the original "defective" seal starts to leak.

In other words, it had to happen sooner or later.

Hopefully your car will be repaired properly.

raptor1956 11-20-2012 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabigon (Post 4464362)
Look at it this way:

Common sense would tell you that the transmission seal that they are replacing has been redesigned (improved).
That means it is likely that it is only a matter of when (and not if) the original "defective" seal starts to leak.

In other words, it had to happen sooner or later.

Hopefully your car will be repaired properly.

It does seem that a redesign to the seals took place at some point but exactly when that was is not certain. The poll I conducted a few months back seemed to indicated that the vast majority of people that were still experiencing issues with the DCT had a build date in the first 6 months of production and that there were very few with a build date after the first 6 months that have ongoing DCT problems. That would suggest a redesign during the period.

My 2012 FF Ti was built on 5/7/12 and I have had no issues with the DCT, or MFT for that matter -- I now have just about 12,500 miles on it and love it just as much as the day I picked it up.

Brian

jwild1996 11-20-2012 09:07 PM

I also have this problem in '12 SE automatic, it has 36k on it and it does that lurch thing and it makes that crunch noise. It only does it on a slower take off. Ive never done anything stupid with the transmission, such as a quick take from N to D.

FordService 11-21-2012 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzachus (Post 4464289)
I know there are a few threads like this but I wanted to share my story. My 2012 Titanium started with the gravel noise about 4 months ago, but it was hard to hear from the inside so I didn't think much of it.

Last week I started getting some shuddering during acceleration so I decided to take it in. I got the call this afternoon that they are replacing both of my clutches and I will be without my car for the week.

Luckily they are fixing the problem, I was worried I might get the "that's how it's supposed to work" speech.

I have never abused the car, mostly highway miles and I am only sitting at 22,000 miles.

I feel like I am in a support group.

Hi Gonzachus,

I'm glad to hear that your dealership is working hard to repair your vehicle. Let us know how the repair goes; if you need my assistance, I'm just a PM away.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwild1996 (Post 4464405)
I also have this problem in '12 SE automatic, it has 36k on it and it does that lurch thing and it makes that crunch noise. It only does it on a slower take off. Ive never done anything stupid with the transmission, such as a quick take from N to D.

Hi jwild1996,

I'm happy to get your case escalated to your region's customer service manager. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll make sure your CSM contacts you soon.

Thanks!
Crystal