Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK2 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   Driver-Side Seat Feels A Little Loose?? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302704)

katkrazy2007 11-20-2012 11:45 AM

Driver-Side Seat Feels A Little Loose??

I have a 2008 SES, and my driver-sided seat feels a little loose when I'm driving. When I first sit down, I can feel it slightly move and when I'm sitting and I move back and forth a little, it'll move then as well. Could it be just a loose screw or bolt or something that I can get down there and tighten up? Thanks for tips in advance (:

Minchkin 11-20-2012 05:29 PM

There is a hole that a bolt goes through. It seems as thought the hole expands and the seat feels like it is rocking. It is kindof a PITA.

FordService 11-21-2012 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katkrazy2007 (Post 4463540)
I have a 2008 SES, and my driver-sided seat feels a little loose when I'm driving. When I first sit down, I can feel it slightly move and when I'm sitting and I move back and forth a little, it'll move then as well. Could it be just a loose screw or bolt or something that I can get down there and tighten up? Thanks for tips in advance (:

Hi katkrazy2007,

You can check out the bolt that Minchkin mentions below and see if you can tighten it. The next time you have an oil change or other service appointment, have your Service Tech take a look. If you have any other questions, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minchkin (Post 4464132)
There is a hole that a bolt goes through. It seems as thought the hole expands and the seat feels like it is rocking. It is kindof a PITA.

Thanks for chiming in, Minchkin. This will give katkrazy2007 a good starting place.

Have a great day!
Crystal

katkrazy2007 11-21-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minchkin (Post 4464132)

I am going to take a look at it soon. Its not a huge deal, but I would like it tightened up.

Also-ran 11-26-2012 09:48 AM

Mine suddenly started doing this about a month ago. To add to what Minchkin posted, no amount of bolt tightening helped me because my seat looseness also appears to be caused by this light yellow plastic insert the seat bolt passes through (it's part of the seat height adjustment mechanism). Very annoying to be reminded about it every time I stop or start.
-come to a stoplight- seat blips forward. -light turns green- seat blips backwards.

There was a thread recently about this issue and several people posted that they also have this problem. It makes me wonder if it is systemic to our generation of Focus. I also worry about what impact it has on the safety of the driver if they were in a wreck.

Minchkin 11-26-2012 10:40 AM

Yeah, I started that thread a while back. I took a few pictures too. Honestly, I don't think it is much of a safety issue, more of a comfort issue. It just seems that the grommet has finally worn through. I am assuming that you just have to replace the grommet. Problem with that is that I don't know the part number, or if there is one at all.

mac.mogul 11-26-2012 12:04 PM

Mine does it, but I just raise the seat and lower it. Seems to be a temporary solution.

soundFocus 11-26-2012 09:47 PM

Can this be related to having the back of the seat rattling? Since it's gotten cold, the last two weeks my passenger side seat has an obnoxious habit of rattling at idle when no one is in it. Putting my hand on the back makes it go away. Gets better when I recline the back less. Related issue or something different?

FordService 11-27-2012 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Also-ran (Post 4470781)
Mine suddenly started doing this about a month ago. To add to what Minchkin posted, no amount of bolt tightening helped me because my seat looseness also appears to be caused by this light yellow plastic insert the seat bolt passes through (it's part of the seat height adjustment mechanism). Very annoying to be reminded about it every time I stop or start.
-come to a stoplight- seat blips forward. -light turns green- seat blips backwards...

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac.mogul (Post 4471033)
Mine does it, but I just raise the seat and lower it. Seems to be a temporary solution.

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundFocus (Post 4471989)
Can this be related to having the back of the seat rattling? Since it's gotten cold, the last two weeks my passenger side seat has an obnoxious habit of rattling at idle when no one is in it. Putting my hand on the back makes it go away. Gets better when I recline the back less...

Hey folks,

If you're not having any luck identifying the source of the looseness or rattle, having your dealer check it out is always a good option.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minchkin (Post 4470884)
...It just seems that the grommet has finally worn through. I am assuming that you just have to replace the grommet. Problem with that is that I don't know the part number, or if there is one at all.

Hi Minchkin,

I just did a quick run-through of the parts website and couldn't find this specific grommet. You may want to contact the parts department of your local dealership; at the very least they could provide you with the correct part number.

As always, if anyone has any additional questions or concerns, feel free to send a PM in my direction.

Thanks,
Crystal

Minchkin 12-05-2012 01:05 AM

Yeah, and see, that's the thing Crystal, I don't know if there is a grommet at all. It just seems as though the hole that the bolt goes through has been stretched, causing the play in the connection, and thus, the slight rocking. Outside of completely dismantling the thing and truly finding out what the play is from, that joint is the only thing we have to go on.