Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK2 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   Soft Paint on Door Handles (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302678)

soundFocus 11-19-2012 09:44 PM

Soft Paint on Door Handles
 
Hey guys, been busy but I'm back with a question. I've had my 11 SES in Sangria Red for about 8 months now, and noticed a trend with the paint. The paint is really soft and prone to scratching. The doorhandles are the worst; they had hardly any marks on it at all when I bought it, and now are all marked up from my fingernails and use. My car is out of bumper to bumper, so does anyone have any tips for preventing this? It's normal for handles to get marked up, but neither of our other two cars A: got the handles marked up this fast, or B: to this extent (on them it's mostly behind the handle, on this car it is the handle itself.)

A7xschecter6661 11-19-2012 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundFocus (Post 4462819)
Hey guys, been busy but I'm back with a question. I've had my 11 SES in Sangria Red for about 8 months now, and noticed a trend with the paint. The paint is really soft and prone to scratching. The doorhandles are the worst; they had hardly any marks on it at all when I bought it, and now are all marked up from my fingernails and use. My car is out of bumper to bumper, so does anyone have any tips for preventing this? It's normal for handles to get marked up, but neither of our other two cars A: got the handles marked up this fast, or B: to this extent (on them it's mostly behind the handle, on this car it is the handle itself.)

I see the round indent behind the handle marked up on most women's cars but you are talking on the handle?

Get us some pictures.

Do you live around dirt roads and construction zones? Is it just the handles or the whole car? If it's everything it's probably getting sand blasted by road debris

doubles 11-20-2012 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundFocus (Post 4462819)
Hey guys, been busy but I'm back with a question. I've had my 11 SES in Sangria Red for about 8 months now, and noticed a trend with the paint. The paint is really soft and prone to scratching. The doorhandles are the worst; they had hardly any marks on it at all when I bought it, and now are all marked up from my fingernails and use. My car is out of bumper to bumper, so does anyone have any tips for preventing this? It's normal for handles to get marked up, but neither of our other two cars A: got the handles marked up this fast, or B: to this extent (on them it's mostly behind the handle, on this car it is the handle itself.)

just my handles did that also i just went on ebay and bought chrome covers and stuck them on. looks better to me.although i know some are not fond of chrome

Elizabeth 11-20-2012 07:54 AM

I noted my door handles getting marked up right off too. Now i am more careful not to be banging the key against the handle.
The other thing is the black plastic between front and back windows is way to easy to scratch up.

mac.mogul 11-20-2012 08:07 AM

Eh, the painted door handles are made of a different kind of plastic and the paint is applied differently. You can probably have the scratches buffed out. I would recommend getting some 3M clear-bra material to cover them.

soundFocus 11-20-2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac.mogul (Post 4463215)
Eh, the painted door handles are made of a different kind of plastic and the paint is applied differently. You can probably have the scratches buffed out. I would recommend getting some 3M clear-bra material to cover them.

That's what I was thinking, as it is the handles themselves. I did try and touch them up but I think I did one scratch and decided it looked horrible.

As for the rest of the body...
Quote:

Do you live around dirt roads and construction zones? Is it just the handles or the whole car? If it's everything it's probably getting sand blasted by road debris
I've though of that too... are roads are not the best here and I would say a good 50-65% of my driving is on country roads. Probably has about 6-8 little nicks on the hood and bumper since I got it, one or two on the sides where rocks kicked up. I think it could be I just notice it more with the red paint, as our other vehicle is black (which I notice tends to hide scratches behind dirt) and white (hides everything).


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:14 PM.


http://www.focusfanatics.com/aboutus/copyright.asp