Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Passenger Footwell - is this normal?? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302675)

lilxmouse 11-19-2012 09:13 PM

Passenger Footwell - is this normal??
 
Hi folks,

First time poster. I've had my Focus for about a year now but I just noticed a weird bump in the footwell on the passenger side. I'm usually driving so I really don't pay much attention to that side. I pulled up the mat and poked at it but it seems pretty inflexible and the floor isn't wet. (Please excuse the dirty mat..)

http://i.imgur.com/awILD.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/7cfwW.jpg

Is this totally normal and I've just never noticed it? If not, does this seem like something serious (i.e., safety-related) that I ought to get checked out ASAP? Or is it probably just cosmetic? Thanks in advance!

Indy'sexclusiveZx3 11-19-2012 11:31 PM

Looks cosmetic

Burns098356GX 11-20-2012 07:42 AM

It's possible the under-mat had a fold in it before the carpet was put down.

jdetzel 11-20-2012 08:51 AM

I just checked mine it is the same way. Do not know what it is for. There is a heater vent under the seat it may be the duct for that.

BaconZombie 11-20-2012 09:54 AM

If you're talking about the hump in the lower left-hand corner of where the passenger-side floor mat sits, then yes, it is normal. I'm guessing it's the way the floor pan was designed, probably clearance for something. I haven't been under the car in so long that I forget what it looks like under there...

lilxmouse 11-20-2012 11:13 AM

Mystery solved
 
Sorry folks, solved the mystery. I took off the fake panel and pulled down the carpet -- it looks like my remote start module is underneath. I'm pretty sure it hasn't always been there, so I'm guessing it fell out of place, but no idea where it's actually supposed to go. [confused] Does anyone have any photos of their remote start install?

dragonpalm 11-20-2012 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilxmouse (Post 4462752)
Hi folks,

First time poster. I've had my Focus for about a year now but I just noticed a weird bump in the footwell on the passenger side. I'm usually driving so I really don't pay much attention to that side. I pulled up the mat and poked at it but it seems pretty inflexible and the floor isn't wet. (Please excuse the dirty mat..)

Is this totally normal and I've just never noticed it? If not, does this seem like something serious (i.e., safety-related) that I ought to get checked out ASAP? Or is it probably just cosmetic? Thanks in advance!

lilxmouse, this is not normal. The floor should be smooth all the way up to the dashboard. I had this exact same issue on my new 2013. Took it to my dealer and they said there was an AC vent underneath the carpet that was out of place. They fixed it promptly because I took them around to all the other cars on their lot and none of them had the protrusion like mine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdetzel (Post 4463273)
I just checked mine it is the same way. Do not know what it is for. There is a heater vent under the seat it may be the duct for that.

You are correct, it is an AC/heater vent but it should be smooth and not protruding. If yours is protruding, take it to your dealer and get them to install it correctly.

dragonpalm 11-20-2012 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilxmouse (Post 4463472)
Sorry folks, solved the mystery. I took off the fake panel and pulled down the carpet -- it looks like my remote start module is underneath. I'm pretty sure it hasn't always been there, so I'm guessing it fell out of place, but no idea where it's actually supposed to go. [confused] Does anyone have any photos of their remote start install?

I don't know anything about that but your pictures look exactly like mine before they fixed the AC vent placement.

jdetzel 11-20-2012 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragonpalm (Post 4463479)
I don't know anything about that but your pictures look exactly like mine before they fixed the AC vent placement.

In the left rear corner of the passenger foot well there is and diagonal raised area. Nothing seems to be sticking out or protruding. It is just that the area is about 3/4" higher than the rest of the foot well.
Does that sound like something is out of place?

dragonpalm 11-20-2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdetzel (Post 4463536)
In the left rear corner of the passenger foot well there is and diagonal raised area. Nothing seems to be sticking out or protruding. It is just that the area is about 3/4" higher than the rest of the foot well.
Does that sound like something is out of place?

Can you post a picture of it?

I wish I took a picture of what mine looked like, but basically it was a protruding rectangular object underneath the carpet where the foot well began to incline (passenger side). If you sat normally and placed your feet on the incline, you could clearly feel the protrusion. I didn't notice when I bought the car but afterwards, passengers sure did.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:22 AM.


http://www.focusfanatics.com/aboutus/copyright.asp