Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   ST EcoBoost Performance (2013) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   ST turbo parts on SE? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302652)

dpotter5 11-19-2012 04:29 PM

ST turbo parts on SE?

Ok guys, I am a salesman at a dealership, so I get factory parts very cheap (if anyone needs factory focus parts, pm me and I'll let you know what I can get them for). Anyone know if I could order all the needed turbo parts for an ST and put them on my SE? Before anyone flames me, I do realize that turbocharging a car is more than just bolting on a turbo and pushing the gas... but I would assume that if this works, it should take a lot of fabrication work out of the project anyway. Thoughts?

Merrigan 11-19-2012 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpotter5 (Post 4462314)
Ok guys, I am a salesman at a dealership, so I get factory parts very cheap (if anyone needs factory focus parts, pm me and I'll let you know what I can get them for). Anyone know if I could order all the needed turbo parts for an ST and put them on my SE? Before anyone flames me, I do realize that turbocharging a car is more than just bolting on a turbo and pushing the gas... but I would assume that if this works, it should take a lot of fabrication work out of the project anyway. Thoughts?

I'm very curious about this as well. A guy I work with asked me if I knew if they would more or less bolt on and I had no idea. I still don't. But I'd like to know.

Elizabeth 11-19-2012 09:23 PM

No way is it going to bolt on. The engine in the ST is a totally different engine.

Zillon 11-19-2012 09:42 PM

You'd be better off trading your car in, taking the loss, and buying an ST.

While it's not a completely different engine, as the engine in the ST is based on the same architecture as the n/a 2.0, many other components are different. Pistons, crank, rods, intake, exhaust, cooling system, ECU, etc.

It wouldn't be worth it, and that's if it could even be done without doing a complete engine swap.

Merrigan 11-19-2012 09:50 PM

I'd never do it. Not with my new car haha. Just curiosity really.

Sent from your mom's house.

dpotter5 11-19-2012 10:32 PM

yeah, the compression ratios are different. 12:1 NA and 9.3:1 FI . Again, obviously i know that FI is never going to be a simple bolt on. If it were, every kid would have a turbocharged POS on the road. My thought is that it would be easier than any other possible Turbo charging system. Less fabrication and such. I would still have to retune and adjust timings. Feel free to speculate. This wont happen soon by any means, but I may give it a go some day!

Merrigan 11-19-2012 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpotter5 (Post 4462892)
yeah, the compression ratios are different. 12:1 NA and 9.3:1 FI . Again, obviously i know that FI is never going to be a simple bolt on. If it were, every kid would have a turbocharged POS on the road. My thought is that it would be easier than any other possible Turbo charging system. Less fabrication and such. I would still have to retune and adjust timings. Feel free to speculate. This wont happen soon by any means, but I may give it a go some day!

Right. I assumed it would take a lot less work to turbo a 2013 Focus than say my old 07 Taurus. If you decide to give it a go please post a thread for your build.

Sent from your mom's house.

Zillon 11-19-2012 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpotter5 (Post 4462892)

The big issue is that nobody's cracked the N/A ECU yet, and nobody really seems to have any desire to. So, you wouldn't be able to retune.

Sonic_HedgeHog 11-20-2012 12:15 AM

Come on guys... To the OP, you're the type of salesman that I hate buying from shouldn't be selling cars if you don't know anything about the cars you're selling...