Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Peace of mind oil change on the 2012 (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302541)

canadianlarry 11-18-2012 08:26 AM

Peace of mind oil change on the 2012
 
My other Focuses all got oil and filter service at 5000km ( 3000 miles ). Now I know that the newer oils make this frequency of change not quite necessary, but I liked doing it and it was a good chance to check the car out while up on the lift. I should note that I am a mechanic and can use the shop on my days off so the expense was minimal.

When I checked my service intervals on the 2012 I was suprised to see that the oil change reminder may not come on for up to 16000 kilometers. Plus, looking around on the forums here, the reminder seems to be a bit of an issue. Some report it never coming on, while others found it working okay.

So anyway, today I decided to change just the oil at the 5000 kilometer point. The car is 4 months old and I couldn't force myself to wait. Walmart had Mobil 1 on sale so went for it. It felt weird to leave the filter on, but I think that skipping 2 oil changes is not good enough. With a timing chain instead of a belt, it seems worth doing. I don't want any problems with worn guides and jumping chain.



The oil change reminder seems not to take oil condition into account based on these forums, so the reminder will still come on ( maybe ) when it knows best.

sailor 11-18-2012 09:52 AM

"Reminders" on newer cars need to be reset after an oil change so they can start their calculations over, otherwise it just keeps counting from new (or the last reset).

They seem to do a good job, taking multiple factors into account such as total time, mileage, idle time, drive cycles etc..

"Severe Duty" as once defined in the manuals would result in a short interval, while average use stretches it out a bit. If you did mostly highway, and a lot of that in a short time, the miles B4 reminder would get scary to anyone used to short mileage changes.

Overall, now that the cars have the "brain power" to take more than just mileage into account, it's probably a GOOD feature. The original "reminders" that only considered mileage were better than nothing, however they were mostly ignored as well...

I know MINE get done more often than mileage alone would suggest, but overall time - short trips - and intermittent use play into my calculations, and like you I'd rather do it sooner than wait TOO long....

miuzi05 11-18-2012 10:34 AM

When I was buying my Focus, I asked my sales rep at the dealer how the oil change notification system works, since I was asking about doing my own and what effect that might have on the warranty (never owned a new car before). He told me that it actually senses the viscosity of the oil, and when it reaches a certain point of degradation, the system indicates the need for a change. I don't know if this is just a marketing fib meant to make it sound impressive, but if it's true, that's pretty slick.

He also encouraged me to just rely on the notification, but said that if it put my mind at ease to do changes at a certain interval that I prefer, to go for it. Obviously, it's my car, so I can as I please, but he seemed to have a lot of faith in the system. I know it's his job to make the sale, but he impressed me with how he worked through the deal with me, so I put a decent amount of stock into his suggestions.

sailor 11-18-2012 01:21 PM

I'm still looking for a reference as to the Focus' actual system, viscosity sensor info. I've found is a mixed bag (Old oil is generally THICKER due to soot contamination for example).

So far I haven't found an automotive application that uses that new tech alone to determine oil life....

Grumpy 11-18-2012 03:23 PM

Always take a non technical sales rep (most) info with a grain of salt. The oil change minder message is reset electronically and can actually be reset at any time by anyone.....the Owner's Manual states to reset it only at the time of an oil change. Viscosity sensor, I think not.

BC_ZX3 11-18-2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpy (Post 4460963)
Always take a non technical sales rep (most) info with a grain of salt.

Huge boulder of salt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpy (Post 4460963)
Viscosity sensor, I think not.

X2. Car salesman are an interesting bunch. They should try reading their own sales literature some time.

From Ford:

"Intelligent Oil Life Monitor (IOLM)

What the IOLM measures to determine when an oil change is needed

Several key factors that affect oil life include:

Driving habits (such as towing and workload)
Hours in operation and at idle
Oil and coolant temperature
Engine speed and torque
Diesel particulate filter (DPF) cleaning cycles

How the IOLM works

The IOLM does not use oil quality sensors it is entirely software-based and uses actual engine operating conditions to calculate the oil change interval by using an algorithm. This means the system must be reset after an oil change. Not doing so will result in a premature OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message."

sailor 11-18-2012 05:27 PM

Perfect! The EXACT info.!

From what I've read on the sensors avail., you'd need a whole suite of them (enough to do an oil analysis) to get a better estimate than that algorithm does....

It WAS interesting to see that a viscosity sensor HAD been invented, and even that it had been tried on one new vehicle (for a different purpose). Most applications I found were for process control or Industrial sized engines with a "Scotty" to take care of them...

miuzi05 11-19-2012 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BC_ZX3 (Post 4461059)
"Intelligent Oil Life Monitor (IOLM)

What the IOLM measures to determine when an oil change is needed

Several key factors that affect oil life include:

Driving habits (such as towing and workload)
Hours in operation and at idle
Oil and coolant temperature
Engine speed and torque
Diesel particulate filter (DPF) cleaning cycles

How the IOLM works

The IOLM does not use oil quality sensors it is entirely software-based and uses actual engine operating conditions to calculate the oil change interval by using an algorithm. This means the system must be reset after an oil change. Not doing so will result in a premature OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message."

Haha, good to know! Like I said, I wasn't entirely convinced, so it's good to have the exact information. You guys are awesome, thanks a lot!

FordService 11-19-2012 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadianlarry (Post 4460664)
...The oil change reminder seems not to take oil condition into account based on these forums, so the reminder will still come on ( maybe ) when it knows best.

Hi canadianlarry,

Your friends on the forums have offered up great information about the Intelligent Oil Life Monitor system below. If you have any additional questions, you can always reach out to your dealership or to me. The fastest way to get my attention is to reach out via PM.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailor (Post 4460716)
"Reminders" on newer cars need to be reset after an oil change so they can start their calculations over, otherwise it just keeps counting from new (or the last reset).

They seem to do a good job, taking multiple factors into account such as total time, mileage, idle time, drive cycles etc..

"Severe Duty" as once defined in the manuals would result in a short interval, while average use stretches it out a bit. If you did mostly highway, and a lot of that in a short time, the miles B4 reminder would get scary to anyone used to short mileage changes...

Quote:

Originally Posted by miuzi05 (Post 4460741)
When I was buying my Focus, I asked my sales rep at the dealer how the oil change notification system works, since I was asking about doing my own and what effect that might have on the warranty (never owned a new car before). He told me that it actually senses the viscosity of the oil, and when it reaches a certain point of degradation, the system indicates the need for a change...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BC_ZX3 (Post 4461059)
...From Ford:

"Intelligent Oil Life Monitor (IOLM)

What the IOLM measures to determine when an oil change is needed

Several key factors that affect oil life include:

Driving habits (such as towing and workload)
Hours in operation and at idle
Oil and coolant temperature
Engine speed and torque
Diesel particulate filter (DPF) cleaning cycles

How the IOLM works

The IOLM does not use oil quality sensors it is entirely software-based and uses actual engine operating conditions to calculate the oil change interval by using an algorithm. This means the system must be reset after an oil change. Not doing so will result in a premature OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message."

Awesome information, everyone. I'm sure canadianlarry appreciates it.

If you ever need anything from me, I'm just a PM away.

Thanks again,
Crystal

canadianlarry 11-19-2012 03:48 PM

I appreciate all the input and information. My plan is to let the dealership do the oil changes that the car asks for in order to maintain a presence for warranty, and to do the extra ones myself. I will post when the reminder comes on. Since I did not reset it, and I don't think you can unless it is on, it is still keeping track from day one. Stay tuned.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:16 PM.


http://www.focusfanatics.com/aboutus/copyright.asp