Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK1 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   improving throttle response.. need help / suggestions (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302509)

sam fisher 11-17-2012 05:30 PM

improving throttle response.. need help / suggestions

ok so the title is basically self explanitory , now i do have an AUTO , so i dont really know what if anything can be done but im willing to do whatever itll take to improve the throttle response even a little , i mean its " alright " as in much better than it was stock but all i have for performance is the fswerks " street " with 2nd cat gutted ( not sure if the gutting did shit ) and a stealth mod intake. now i already have plans for 1 . header and tune , svt style dampers and ford racing springs . but thats all going to come in the spring . so for the time being i would like to work on throttle response , iv been looking into the cfm tb and have heard varying opinions on that , i would like a little more concrete info. but all suggestions are very welcome .

ps , do poly mounts do anything for this ? im not tottaly sure what they are really for .

matmatician 11-17-2012 08:35 PM

CFM 67mm throttlebody and a lightweight flywheel [thumb]

mikebontoft 11-17-2012 08:37 PM

Yup that lightweight flywheel will do a lot of good with an automatic [hihi]

I'm gonna say a tune will help, besides the obligatory intake and exhaust of course.

matmatician 11-17-2012 08:40 PM

Oh yea. Automatic. No clutch. I forget they make those newfangled things lol.

Throttlebody should still do ya some good though

sam fisher 11-17-2012 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matmatician (Post 4460365)
Oh yea. Automatic. No clutch. I forget they make those newfangled things lol.

Throttlebody should still do ya some good though

lol thanks , i figured there wouldn't be much i can do , i will be getting the xcal whenever i happen to get my tax return . ill probly pick up the tb sooner than that tho

Sent from my N860 using FF Mobile

matmatician 11-17-2012 11:58 PM

Yeah, a tune is definitely gonna be a big help.

iminhell 11-18-2012 08:54 AM

Throttle response isn't all it's cracked up to be. My car's response is very fast, 70mm TB and 12# flywheel. If I think of touching the peddle it revs to 3k. Trying to hold a low rpm is tough.
Other thing is I can't feel any gains after 1/2 throttle. That's because it's the point where the pressure drop to the manifold is already equal to atmospheric.
I honestly like a smaller TB better. I get more feel vs peddle travel. If I push it to WOT, it feels like WOT.

So I'm going to say to save the money you'd spend on the TB for the tuner/tune. It will benefit you more in the end.

Other things are full exhaust, cams, Lentec, raise compression ...

There are points where you'll need a larger TB. But 70% of the site is not at that point, not even me. Stock can flow lots of air. It's just one of those parts you replace because you can. Doesn't really do much for the car though.

felixthecat 11-18-2012 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iminhell (Post 4460676)
Throttle response isn't all it's cracked up to be. My car's response is very fast, 70mm TB and 12# flywheel. If I think of touching the peddle it revs to 3k. Trying to hold a low rpm is tough.
Other thing is I can't feel any gains after 1/2 throttle. That's because it's the point where the pressure drop to the manifold is already equal to atmospheric.
I honestly like a smaller TB better. I get more feel vs peddle travel. If I push it to WOT, it feels like WOT.

So I'm going to say to save the money you'd spend on the TB for the tuner/tune. It will benefit you more in the end.

Other things are full exhaust, cams, Lentec, raise compression ...

There are points where you'll need a larger TB. But 70% of the site is not at that point, not even me. Stock can flow lots of air. It's just one of those parts you replace because you can. Doesn't really do much for the car though.

Totaley agree ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Somethings are quick & easy to change & don't really pay off, performance & driveablity, after all most foci's are daily driven.