Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Engine vibration NOT mounts (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302503)

rpokorny 11-17-2012 02:52 PM

Engine vibration NOT mounts

I have an 04 ZX5 automatic with the Zetec engine 135,000 kms. It started to vibrate about 6 months ago, I did the research and replaced all three mounts with factory mounts, very expensive and didn't solve the problem. I then did a tune up with Motocraft spark plugs and wires, oil and filter and air filter. Vibration is still there. The engine only vibrates at idle. It doesn't matter if I am in neutral, park, drive or reverse. The engine vibrates. The second I touch the gas, the vibration is gone. When looking at the engine, I can see it vibrate and when I put my hand on the engine I can feel it vibrate. It has only been doing it for about 6 months and some days are worse than others. I am at a loss on this one.

Fan4Focus 11-18-2012 02:44 PM

Have you ever had the fuel injectors cleaned or flow checked. Could be a bad injector that leaks or has poor flow at low pressure at idle.

sailor 11-18-2012 02:55 PM

What's the idle Rpm? And does it stay stable when you shift or turn on the A/C?

PCV hoses have been known to go bad, improved version currently sold by Ford if needed.

Just a couple thoughts if the idle is too low or rough...

rpokorny 11-18-2012 08:58 PM

I have never had the injectors cleaned as it runs great other than idle. It idles at about 800 and stays there even with the a/c on. It gets good mileage however it's worth a try. I checked the PCV hose and it doesn't seem to be leaking, but it is soft in spots so I will try replacing it. This is a strange vibration. I am used to engines shaking if they have a vacuum leak or bad injector. I had a 1993 Ford Aerostar that had a vacuum leak and the engine shook badly. The Focus has a vibration like a vibrating chair or cushion. It shakes rapidly but very little travel, perhaps a 1/2 inch back and forth rapidly.

rpokorny 11-19-2012 09:14 AM

I am going to try some seafoam treatment, replace the PCV valve and the hose and see if it makes a difference. I don't like just throwing parts at a car, but when I took it to the dealer they said that's what they would do as they said it could be any number of things and there are no codes.

FLZ_Boy 11-19-2012 12:00 PM

Which mounts were replaced? All three or 2/3?

rpokorny 11-19-2012 09:24 PM

I replaced all 3 although none looked bad. The dog bone and the transmission mount actually looked like new. The passenger mount had no cracks in it, but it did feel like it lacked any fluid inside.

FLZ_Boy 11-19-2012 11:51 PM

There is a You Tubedeo named: "Zetec Engine Rough Idle - Issue solved"

In a nutshell, the person thought it was his MAF, turned out to be a crack in his air tube under the throttle body (vacuum leak).

katkrazy2007 11-20-2012 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpokorny (Post 4460089)
I have an 04 ZX5 automatic with the Zetec engine 135,000 kms. It started to vibrate about 6 months ago, I did the research and replaced all three mounts with factory mounts, very expensive and didn't solve the problem. I then did a tune up with Motocraft spark plugs and wires, oil and filter and air filter. Vibration is still there. The engine only vibrates at idle. It doesn't matter if I am in neutral, park, drive or reverse. The engine vibrates. The second I touch the gas, the vibration is gone. When looking at the engine, I can see it vibrate and when I put my hand on the engine I can feel it vibrate. It has only been doing it for about 6 months and some days are worse than others. I am at a loss on this one.

I have the exact same vibration in my 2008 SES exactly as you describe your vibration -- It only does it at idle, but as long as I am accelerating, it is gone. So weird.

Edgenet 11-20-2012 06:51 PM

I have read on youtube a mechanic commenting that most vibration complaints come from auto cars he believes the torque converter in the trans not releasing properly at idle. This is a known problem with Ford torque converters. I also have the same problem and my idle is around 590 rpm in drive. The tranny issue seems to make sense.

In my case I do not believe it's the engine mounts, but the vibration is consistent.