Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Shockingly low mpg numbers reported for 2013 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302479)

sobhall 11-17-2012 04:23 AM

Shockingly low mpg numbers reported for 2013 Focus

I'm an owner of a 2012 Focus w/ DCT. I've had some mechanical issues with the car, hopefully resolved, and have averaged over 42 mpg so far. However, I see that 27 owners of the 2013 Ford Focus have reported an average of 28.6 mpg (!) on the Fuelly website. That borders on scandalous for a car touted by Ford for it's good gas mileage. Can they all be driving like idiots? Any thoughts?

mrpeaches 11-17-2012 04:51 AM

That doesn't seem too out of line for people in an urban setting who are mashing on the gas pedal after every stop light. Also, they could be driving in a location with a lot of gridlock. I've averaged about 33 mpg on mine here in Colorado, but if I had to take the 405 in LA to work like I used to I'm sure I'd probably be around 28 or so as well.

BrApple 11-17-2012 06:43 AM

didn't every 2012 mpg thread show that as more miles where put on the vehicles the mpg improved? How long have the 2013's been out and how many miles are people reporting? I bet it comes up in due time ....

If you want to talk about poor reported mpg to the stated mpg look at the 2012+ Impreza.

JonathanGennick 11-17-2012 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrpeaches (Post 4459631)
That doesn't seem too out of line for people in an urban setting who are mashing on the gas pedal after every stop light. Also, they could be driving in a location with a lot of gridlock.

Could well be the above. On my last trip home from the airport my mpg stayed under 20 until I cleared the airport area and had run highway for a few miles. Stop-and-go driving really brings down the numbers. Hills hurt it too.

FWIW, my own mpgs are in line so far with what the sticker predicted.

miuzi05 11-17-2012 07:42 AM

I've got a 2013 with almost 2000km on it now, and I've been watching my mileage with keen interest. Since I'm in Canada, my car displays L/100km, instead of mpg. My commute to work is through the city, and even though I drive it gently, I still see only around 8L/100km, which works out to a little below 30mpg. If I take a decent drive on a highway, though, the average quickly improves, falling below 7L/100km. I reset the average every time I fuel up, and the best I've seen the average fall to is 6.6 L/100km, or about 35 mpg. That's still mixed driving though. Today, I'm going to be doing a long trip that is almost purely highway, and I'm going to brim it before I depart, so I'm eager to see what I can get.

2008 Ford Focus 11-17-2012 07:42 AM

This is the first thread I read where the guy is complaining about the Focus, not about his\her car,but other people's Focus. Very inventive to create another negative focus thread. Your guys should have bought the MK2 version and have no problems and great performance.

2008 Ford Focus

miuzi05 11-17-2012 07:53 AM

Don't take my feedback as a complaint, by any means. I'm loving the car, and the mileage is satisfying my expectations. I expect it to improve as the car is more broken in. It's also already better than the 1.6L Civic I replaced, with which the best mileage I ever managed was only about 40mpg on pure highway driving. Admittedly, I drove it a little more vigorously than my Focus, but the Focus has WAY more power, so to be seeing similar or even better mileage, puts a big smile on my face.

YesMAN 11-17-2012 08:16 AM

They're getting over the EPA city rating. How is that scandalous exactly?

Scandalous is Hyundai/Kia getting caught cooking their fuel economy calculations.

kam327 11-17-2012 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrApple (Post 4459667)
didn't every 2012 mpg thread show that as more miles where put on the vehicles the mpg improved? How long have the 2013's been out and how many miles are people reporting? I bet it comes up in due time ....

Not true, my analysis of fuelly data showed that many owners' fuel economy stayed the same or even went down in some cases from their first fuelly post. On average I think economy can go up 2-3 mpg in the long term due to powertrain breaking in, which matches my experience with my Focus.

mac.mogul 11-17-2012 08:28 AM

Oh here we go again...

People are getting their 2013 Focii just in time for winter blend fuels...

Bring on the MPG threads!