Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Ford Buy Back! (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302475)

12_T_Hatch 11-17-2012 02:49 AM

Ford Buy Back!

Well ladies and gents, I have reached that point... I have owned "Casper" for 18 months and in that time I have put 31,142 miles on her. (Keep in mind I was out of the country for 6 of the 18 months of ownership...) Sadly though my experience with her has been nothing but headaches - I have had to bring her to the dealership for transmission issues 14 times (not counting regular service related issues - TSB's - Recalls - oil changes - new tires - etc), and half of those times required a two or even three day stay at the dealership... So after being without my car for two days due to my transmission, I decided that enough is enough. Even the service adviser at the dealership I have started using since moving told me that until Ford comes up with a permanent fix I am stuck coming back every few weeks for the transmission to be "reprogrammed" with the latest patch. After hearing that and brooding about it the entire ride home I decided to write Ford Motor Company, notifying them in writing that the problem was still there and if they don't take radical steps to correct this issue I will be forced to pursue my legal options provided to me under the Missouri lemon law. I also included in that letter a copy of every service record I have showing my complaint of a transmission problem plus my retail installment contract showing exactly how much I paid for the vehicle plus all the money I put as a down payment. In the letter I gave them two options buy the car back from me or switch me into a comparably priced and equipped vehicle that I approve of. If they do the later you can rest assured I will either be driving the Focus ST (it only comes with a manual transmission so I shouldn't have the shuddering, hesitation or grinding that I am currently experiencing) or I will abandon the Focus line all together and get into the nicest Fusion I can for 29,000. I also wrote in the letter that they need to re-imburse me all the tax, tags, title and motor vehicle inspection fees I paid to get the Focus road ready.

Anyways, I will let you know what I hear back from them. I gave them ten business days to respond before I start executing on the promise to report them to the BBB, and Missouri Attorney General. This is probably showing me as a sucker, but even with the headache this car is for me - I still LOVE Ford. I am hoping that they stand behind their product and pave the way for me to trade into a different Ford.

VectorZ 11-17-2012 03:31 AM

Sorry to hear. We have nearly the exact same car, and mine is approaching 5k miles and has been flawless since day 1. It's so strange to me that some of these cars and total lemons and others are perfect. Good luck!

Supramk3 11-17-2012 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VectorZ (Post 4459623)
Sorry to hear. We have nearly the exasct same car, and mine is approaching 5k miles and has been flawless since day 1. It's so strange to me that some of these cars and total lemons and others are perfect. Good luck!

Couldnt agree more. mine just hit 13,000 miles and the only issue I have had is the one I just took it into the shop for 11/16/12 for a bad chip in the spare key. had to have one ordered from ford.

I have a '12 FF S 5pd. I hope ford does something for you 12_T_Hatch.

Seriously Focused 11-17-2012 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12_T_Hatch (Post 4459617)
Well ladies and gents, I have reached that point... I have owned "Casper" for 18 months and in that time I have put 31,142 miles on her. (Keep in mind I was out of the country for 6 of the 18 months of ownership...) Sadly though my experience with her has been nothing but headaches - I have had to bring her to the dealership for transmission issues 14 times (not counting regular service related issues - TSB's - Recalls - oil changes - new tires - etc), and half of those times required a two or even three day stay at the dealership... So after being without my car for two days due to my transmission, I decided that enough is enough. Even the service adviser at the dealership I have started using since moving told me that until Ford comes up with a permanent fix I am stuck coming back every few weeks for the transmission to be "reprogrammed" with the latest patch. After hearing that and brooding about it the entire ride home I decided to write Ford Motor Company, notifying them in writing that the problem was still there and if they don't take radical steps to correct this issue I will be forced to pursue my legal options provided to me under the Missouri lemon law. I also included in that letter a copy of every service record I have showing my complaint of a transmission problem plus my retail installment contract showing exactly how much I paid for the vehicle plus all the money I put as a down payment. In the letter I gave them two options buy the car back from me or switch me into a comparably priced and equipped vehicle that I approve of. If they do the later you can rest assured I will either be driving the Focus ST (it only comes with a manual transmission so I shouldn't have the shuddering, hesitation or grinding that I am currently experiencing) or I will abandon the Focus line all together and get into the nicest Fusion I can for 29,000. I also wrote in the letter that they need to re-imburse me all the tax, tags, title and motor vehicle inspection fees I paid to get the Focus road ready.

Anyways, I will let you know what I hear back from them. I gave them ten business days to respond before I start executing on the promise to report them to the BBB, and Missouri Attorney General. This is probably showing me as a sucker, but even with the headache this car is for me - I still LOVE Ford. I am hoping that they stand behind their product and pave the way for me to trade into a different Ford.

After your personal experience, it is shocking that you would buy another Ford. If my Focus had that many problems, I would be heading to the nearest Toyota dealer !

fishin-nole 11-17-2012 08:43 AM

Our's just came out of the shop after 13 days for the trans. clutch and seal(s) replacement. Previously had the ecu reflash for trans. problems. If the problems recur at some point we will likely do the same as you and get into a Fusion.

mainest 11-17-2012 10:48 AM

Just more evidence to heed the old maxim that one should never purchase a car in its first model year. This is also confirmation of the validity of "Lemon Laws".
I wish you the best in your endeavor to obtain fair treatment from Ford. Be certain, if you haven't already, to go to the regional level in the Ford organizational ladder, and if necessary, beyond.
Good luck.

copernicium112 11-17-2012 10:55 AM

Shame man! Sorry to hear it. Best of luck and I hope it goes smooth for you (well, as smooth as something like this can go).

Quote:

Originally Posted by VectorZ (Post 4459623)
It's so strange to me that some of these cars and total lemons and others are perfect.

Totally agree with this. 7/2011 build and I have not experienced any of the trans problems, clutch grinding etc. (just MFT struggles but I work through those) yet others in the same build date range have. Had some minor shifting problems but the TSB from a while ago took care of that for me. Handles like a dream still and fun to drive. Not a powerhouse but I knew that when I was buying. Unless something goes drastically wrong in the near future, my decision on whether or not to buy another when the time basically comes down to how well the car ages.

csvt2060 11-17-2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishin-nole (Post 4459754)
Our's just came out of the shop after 13 days for the trans. clutch and seal(s) replacement. Previously had the ecu reflash for trans. problems. If the problems recur at some point we will likely do the same as you and get into a Fusion.

This is simply not true, among many other things, the Fusion doesn't use the poorly executed DCT.

I have owned about 18 Ford vehicles and the Focus was the absolute worst one that I have owned. All of my other Fords had typical few issues if any at all, nothing like the continued visits to the shop for the Focus. Shame because it's a neat car otherwise.

Ford has many other good vehicle to offer, hense his loyality.

Hope the OP gets it worked out, much luck to you since many of these vehicles are the same giving Ford more leverage.

12_T_Hatch 11-17-2012 01:07 PM

Thanks for the encouragement guys! I will let you know how this all goes down!

Kabigon 11-17-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12_T_Hatch (Post 4459617)

I must be missing something...

There are many people here that have no problems with their transmissions -or- did have problems and have had all of their issues resolved. We know that the transmission is capable of working well and we know that it can be fixed properly when it isn't.

If you are unable to get your car repaired properly, why would you want another Ford? That is absurd.

Cars break. Service is important.