Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Rear wheel bearings (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302422)

Yellow Blaze 72 11-16-2012 10:22 AM

Rear wheel bearings

I took my Mellow Yellow in because of a rubbing noise from the rear. If it had a drive shaft I'd have called it a bad u-joint noise. Turned out to be a bad wheel bearing. The dealer replaced it no problem and said they checked the other side and found it to be OK.

I'm wondering how many other folks have had to replace the rear wheel bearing? The car has 22255 miles on it. I've never had any other car that needed even one bad wheel bearing!

FordService 11-16-2012 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yellow Blaze 72 (Post 4458544)
I took my Mellow Yellow in because of a rubbing noise from the rear. If it had a drive shaft I'd have called it a bad u-joint noise. Turned out to be a bad wheel bearing. The dealer replaced it no problem and said they checked the other side and found it to be OK.

I'm wondering how many other folks have had to replace the rear wheel bearing? The car has 22255 miles on it. I've never had any other car that needed even one bad wheel bearing!

Hey Yellow Blaze 72,

I'm glad to hear that your dealer took great care of you. If you ever have any future concerns, feel free to send me a PM; I'm happy to help.

Thanks,
Crystal

BaconZombie 11-16-2012 11:09 AM

No, it's not common to have to replace a wheel bearing at that low of mileage. It is not, however, completely unheard of. All manufacturers make bad parts, it happens. Whichever manufacturer built the bearings for your car may have just made a bad part. We're working on an '04 Explorer right now that has gone through at least 2 bearings/hubs on the front on both sides. And the hub we just got felt like crap and was stiff, so we sent it back and had it replaced before we even installed it. It does happen unfortunately.

Yellow Blaze 72 01-18-2013 10:54 AM

Followup.
After the bearing replacement I had a real rattle-your-teeth vibration at 55+. Dealer first said all the tires were out of round (OOR), then said they weren't.
Finally took the car to my local tire dealer. He knew he was just checking it not selling me a set of tires. Found a flat spot on the left rear (the wheel with the bad, changed bearing) and it was way OOR. Also, the right front was headed in that direction. Looks like either the bad bearing caused the OOR or the OOR caused the bad bearing!
We'll see what the dealer says.

2012sel 01-18-2013 12:56 PM

Thanks for the insight and update.

hotleadsingerguy 01-18-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService (Post 4458593)
Hey Yellow Blaze 72,

I'm glad to hear that your dealer took great care of you. If you ever have any future concerns, feel free to send me a PM; I'm happy to help.

Thanks,
Crystal

lol I love that the topic is saying "How many people are having this problem?" and Ford responds with "[Glad we helped!]"

WizeGuyDezignz 01-18-2013 01:50 PM

It's all ball bearings nowadays, maybe you need a refresher course.

hand-filer 01-18-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WizeGuyDezignz (Post 4546008)
It's all ball bearings nowadays, maybe you need a refresher course.

Maybe you need one. Most wheel bearing assemblies utilize roller, not ball bearings.

Sent from my maxiPad

WizeGuyDezignz 01-18-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hand-filer (Post 4546046)
Maybe you need one. Most wheel bearing assemblies utilize roller, not ball bearings.

Sent from my maxiPad

Ok, I see that one went over your head lol. It's a quote from a movie with Chevy Chase. Can you guess which one?

hand-filer 01-18-2013 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WizeGuyDezignz (Post 4546151)
Ok, I see that one went over your head lol. It's a quote from a movie with Chevy Chase. Can you guess which one?

Sorry, not into Chevy Chase.

Sent from my maxiPad