Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Affordable 2013 Focus brake upgrade (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302359)

bwh13 11-15-2012 03:51 PM

Affordable 2013 Focus brake upgrade

I've discovered what looks to be a simple way to upgrade the front rotors to 300mm using factory parts with either a modification to the mounting bracket or using a machined part to allow the use of a slightly smaller diameter bolt. I think the stock caliper may fit, but if not then the new caliper uses the stock pads.

I have a 2013 with the 16" wheels and will be test fitting the upgrade on it as soon as I get the parts.

Michael Jackson 11-19-2012 12:13 AM

Interesting.

Are these Ford oem parts, or where are you sourcing them?

Sent from my SCH-I905 using FF Mobile

mac.mogul 11-19-2012 12:15 AM

Nevermind where the parts are from, is it safe?

bwh13 11-19-2012 08:36 AM

The parts are all OEM. It would fit and function the same as if the factory installed it.

felixthecat 11-19-2012 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwh13 (Post 4457352)
I've discovered what looks to be a simple way to upgrade the front rotors to 300mm using factory parts with either a modification to the mounting bracket or using a machined part to allow the use of a slightly smaller diameter bolt. I think the stock caliper may fit, but if not then the new caliper uses the stock pads.

I have a 2013 with the 16" wheels and will be test fitting the upgrade on it as soon as I get the parts.

Your right down there, I'd be hitting up Todd at TCE.

bwh13 11-19-2012 08:27 PM

I've known Todd for years, even bought my first Wilwood calipers from him. I'm looking at doing a stock looking setup for now. Then I'll try putting a set of Wilwoods on there.

Geezer 11-20-2012 10:22 AM

Just a word of caution....bigger is not always better. If fact, without proper research and engineering, adding bigger front brakes without addressing things like proper brake bias, etc. you could actually be making braking (and handling) worse. Interchanging parts willy nilly can often have more negative than positive results. If you really need better braking than stock, experimenting with friction materials may be the better way to start.

bwh13 11-20-2012 02:40 PM

I agree with that for the most part, but have enough experience (35 yrs) to know how much is too much when it comes to brake improvements.

While adding a better pad is the first step in getting the brakes to perform to a higher standard, a moderately larger rotor will be of even more help without upsetting the bias the engineers built into the car. Going from 280 to 300mm isn't that big a change that it will upset the apple cart, but will give better fade resistance and longer pad life.

I'm pretty sure the caliper brackets will fit the stock calipers, so there won't any change in the clamping force or pedal feel, travel, etc. If they don't then I'll make some brackets for the Wilwoods and use them.

Fernando_221 11-21-2012 07:08 AM

So, what parts are needed?

Zillon 11-21-2012 07:49 AM

Watching this one. Interested to see what parts are involved and where they're sourced from, though.