Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Key Not Detected (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302180)

Supramk3 11-13-2012 11:51 AM

Key Not Detected

So I made an appointment for Friday at my local Ford Dealership where I had purchased my S model. lately its been saying on the message center "key not detected" and refusing to start the car with the standard "valet" key. When i told this to the service tech over the phone he told me its cause i have to use the big chipped key to start the car. Oh pardon me, the key ford gave me with the car as a spare key DOESNT WORK ? Its worked since march and all the sudden its not working? No im not satisfied with that answer. So in the shop it goes to check for a faulty key or ignition, etc.

I read this forum enough to know that issues are pretty common.

Sent from the HO KID network using FF Mobile

Elizabeth 11-13-2012 01:43 PM

If you have the chipped key IN YOUR POCKET, the valet key will start the carand it will run.
If you do not have the chipped key on your person, the car will not run.
So perhaps you were carrying the chipped key, and starting the car with the valet key.
Now, you left the chipped key off your person. And the car is doingwhat it always did check for the presence of the chip. not finding it. no start.
Just my 2 cents.
The chip does not have to be at the ignition switch, it just has to be in the area.

Supramk3 11-13-2012 01:52 PM

My fiance uses the valet key and the chipped key stays with me. So she could be across town, or out of town for that matter. And its worked for months. So it cant be that.

hotleadsingerguy 11-13-2012 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elizabeth (Post 4453603)
If you have the chipped key IN YOUR POCKET, the valet key will start the carand it will run.
If you do not have the chipped key on your person, the car will not run.
So perhaps you were carrying the chipped key, and starting the car with the valet key.
Now, you left the chipped key off your person. And the car is doingwhat it always did check for the presence of the chip. not finding it. no start.
Just my 2 cents.
The chip does not have to be at the ignition switch, it just has to be in the area.

Which makes no sense for its intended purpose...valet. The valet is not going to have both keys, meaning they won't be able to start the car unless you're there. If you're there, there's no need for a valet. The purpose of a valet car is to be able to run the car but have limitations.

Supramk3 11-13-2012 03:00 PM

The car should have no problem recognizing the bare bones key, as it came from the factory with it. Its not an aftermarket or reprogrammed dealership key.

unclebrud 11-13-2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy (Post 4453790)
Which makes no sense for its intended purpose...valet. The valet is not going to have both keys, meaning they won't be able to start the car unless you're there. If you're there, there's no need for a valet. The purpose of a valet car is to be able to run the car but have limitations.

You're right. It is just a problem with the programming on the valet key. It happened to me, too. Just have the dealership reprogram the keys and the problem will go away.

Supramk3 11-13-2012 03:39 PM

Awesome ill make sure they do that. Its under warranty, use it before i lose it right? Lol

FordService 11-14-2012 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supramk3 (Post 4453383)
So I made an appointment for Friday at my local Ford Dealership where I had purchased my S model. lately its been saying on the message center "key not detected" and refusing to start the car with the standard "valet" key. When i told this to the service tech over the phone he told me its cause i have to use the big chipped key to start the car. Oh pardon me, the key ford gave me with the car as a spare key DOESNT WORK ? Its worked since march and all the sudden its not working? No im not satisfied with that answer. So in the shop it goes to check for a faulty key or ignition, etc.

I read this forum enough to know that issues are pretty common.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supramk3 (Post 4453962)
Awesome ill make sure they do that. Its under warranty, use it before i lose it right? Lol

Hi Supramk3,

Let me know how things go at the dealership. I'm always happy to jump in whenever I'm needed.

Thanks,
Crystal [8D]

Supramk3 11-14-2012 04:49 PM

Thanks crystal I will let you know what they say/do.

davidw99 02-08-2013 01:58 PM

I now have the same problem. My bare bones key has stopped working. My wife and son use it all the time. I keep the key with the buttons with me. Now I get the "Key Not Detected" message. Has any one come up with the solution to this problem?