Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   New to the Focus/ 2.3 Duratec..time for a build? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302179)

86fiveoh 11-13-2012 10:40 AM

New to the Focus/ 2.3 Duratec..time for a build?

Alright so I'm new to the Focus and 2.3 scene, I've had the car for just shy of 2 years (2004 zx5 w/ 2.3 duratec) and i wanna do some mods to make it a little more fun. I'm not looking for an all out race car, Ive already got a car thats fast, this is my DD and i just want a little more fun.

basic goal would be ~ 170-200hp range. I already ordered a bunch of suspension parts, but as far as what makes power on these engines, i have no idea. i know the basics, cai, tune, etc. im looking to see things like is a header actually gonna give any noticeable gains? or is it not worth the $/ time installing etc

so far all that is done to the car is a tune, and a few appearance mods, and then my suspension parts on order.

finally, if at all possible, id like to stay NA and try and keep my fuel economy.

sjdwales 11-13-2012 10:56 AM

to get in that power range u need intake, stage 2 cams, exhaust manifold, exhaust and tune.

YellowJellyBean 11-13-2012 11:17 AM

170-200 is a pretty wide range for a car that starts out at about 140. I would agree with sjdwales, though. Intake, exhaust, and tune will get you a to about 150 at the wheels. Header and cams should be enough to push you beyond that.

Boost is the quicker and easier way to go, but I personally would prefer the instant power from an NA build.

Now that I look at that, I already have the intake, header, and tune. All I need now are cams and an exhaust, hmm...

86fiveoh 11-13-2012 11:34 AM

Hmm, that's what I was afraid of, not sure how the cams/intake manifold will effect drive ability/gas mileage.

I'm not too sure what kinda power is needed to run x.xx in the 1/4 but i figure anywhere in that range should make the car a little more fun so that was my shotgun guestimate for where i wanted to be

YellowJellyBean 11-13-2012 12:59 PM

You probably don't have to touch the intake manifold unless you're going boosted or a serious high compression build.

1/4 times shouldn't ever be a goal for a DD Focus. It's a small, light FWD car that with the right mods can be a great car to take out to a windy road on the weekend.

86fiveoh 11-13-2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YellowJellyBean (Post 4453650)
You probably don't have to touch the intake manifold unless you're going boosted or a serious high compression build.

1/4 times shouldn't ever be a goal for a DD Focus. It's a small, light FWD car that with the right mods can be a great car to take out to a windy road on the weekend.

I understand that, just dynos and 1/4 mile are the easiest way to measure an increase in performance. I just purchased a mess of suspension parts for the car as well, and i dont plan on ever taking it to the 1/4, thats what my other car is for.

how do the cams effect the driveability and fuel economy on the 2.3? would it be better to do a stage 1?

sjdwales 11-13-2012 01:15 PM

my buddy drove his car everyday, think he was getting same/better gas mileage than me when he wasn't on it. on my 2.3/st i have intake and exhaust. plan on getting it tuned within next couple months. then in spring do most likely stag 1 cams or stage 2 without change springs/retainers.

drewts86 11-13-2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YellowJellyBean (Post 4453434)
I already have the intake, header, and tune.

How does your car fare when you get it smogged. Do you run a CARB CAI or do they not say anything? And what about the header, bc I know there not CARB legal, but I've been thinking about getting one after I get my exhaust.

YellowJellyBean 11-13-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewts86 (Post 4454359)
How does your car fare when you get it smogged. Do you run a CARB CAI or do they not say anything? And what about the header, bc I know there not CARB legal, but I've been thinking about getting one after I get my exhaust.

I don't actually have the header on my car, because I don't have an A/F gauge. I have what I thought was a CARB legal intake (Cosworth), but it turns out the CARB sticker only applies to 2005. I had to find a friend with a Focus and swap his stock intake into my car for the test. I'm looking to find a shop that maybe doesn't ask any many questions next time.

drewts86 11-13-2012 09:32 PM

Won't matter for me soon enough. I'm hightailing it to Colorado this time next year with work.