Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   hopefully someone can help (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302145)

f_o_c_u_s 11-12-2012 08:33 PM

hopefully someone can help

or hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. i know i have this related topic in a different thread but im going to try to explain it a little better here.

when i first got the car i noticed going from 2-3 gear (its an atx) it would slightly slip, when shifting my rpms would jump before going to the next gear. a few times my o/d light would come on too without touching the button except it would flash in orange and wouldnt turn off till the car was restarted. after awhile this issue stopped and i noticed no problems. except for the gear slippage.

just recently i noticed that when i slow down to take a turn, if i dont slow down under 20mph and i got to accelerate, my car bogs, from what i understand its getting stuck in 3rd gear and not disengaging the gear untill it drops below 20.

i also noticed that after shifting to 4th gear if i try to "get on it" i will jump rpms. and at 65mph the same thing happens. it sounds like it wants to go into passing gear, but the rpms jump and then nothing happens.

just recently i noticed my little o/d light issue was happening again. and then just the other night driving home (doing nothing but driving mind you, except i hit the usual rough patch in the road) the light came on and with it my engine light came on.

i got the code check and it was a p0752 saying the shift solenoid A was stuck on. i bought the part and put it in. took it for a test drive and....nothing was fixed. i turned my o/d off and drive and everything seems to work fine. no slippage except for 2-3 but like i said thats always happened. other than that if i slow down for a turn and dont drop below 20 then accelerate everything is fine. and of course at the higher speeds everything is fine since my o/d is off and i cant shift into 4th.

can anyone give any sort of insight to my issue and any tips on how to fix it? or point me in the right direction? any help would be much appreciated.

iminhell 11-12-2012 08:45 PM

It is not a shift solenoid issue.

Bring it in and have a professional diagnose it.
My feeling is the fluid is part of the problem as well as buildup/dirt in the trans.

f_o_c_u_s 11-12-2012 09:10 PM

fluid? how you mean exactly? at about how many miles should the trans get a flush?

whynotthinkwhynot 11-13-2012 04:55 AM

I don't personally recommend flushes, but that seems to be the popular thing. Ford's recommended service interval is 25k miles. However, that hasn't changed since newer fluids have been developed. You can run as long as 50k miles on the newer fluid if you desire, but when you reach the mark you should change the filter. A filter change replaces about half the fluid, or you can replace all the fluid using a fluid pump or disconnecting the lower line at the trans fluid cooler (radiator), and following the recommended procedure.

Typically, I don't replace AT fluid unless it smells burnt, is darker in color, smells like dead fish, or the vehicle has been overheated.

mrdeath2000 11-13-2012 11:16 AM

Trans flushes at shops/dealer usually run ~125-175.

You can get a filter and gasket on Rockauto pretty cheap and buy about 10 quarts of ATF locally.

Dropping the pan will let you change the filter and clean the magnet and the general buildup of material in the pan. That will get you 40-60% of the fluid. Refill it and drive it for a few days or a week or two then repeat.

This will get another 40-60%, granted it will have mixed with the older fluid, and is not as efficient as pulling the line, but if you're not comfortable pulling the line or doing that way, this way offers an alternative.

Checking the fluid level in these sucks too, the dipstick arrangement is not ideal.

f_o_c_u_s 11-13-2012 02:09 PM

so whats the difficulty level of doing all that? i would rather see if i cant do it myself first. or at least do what i can before dropping a 100+ dollars to a mechanic.

dropping the pan, changing the filter and cleaning the magnet seems fairly easy. ill give that a try first and see what happens

the car has 102,xxx miles on it and nothing with the transmission has crossed my mind to even touch it. (thats bad i know :/) ill give the filter and and everything a try and see what happens. if that doesnt work ill try draining it from the line and see how that works. if worse comes to worse ill take it to a mechanic.

6SPD_soul 11-13-2012 02:30 PM

Have you even looked at the fluid level yet? If it's consistently slipping the friction discs in the clutch packs have probably already burnt off the friction coatings on some of the discs and you really might be looking at a trans rebuild to actually fix the problem. I'd tell you to stop driving it but it sounds like the damage is done. This is probably why Iminhell said what he did above.

Check the fluid, if it smells really burnt and nasty you've got problems that fresh fluid won't fix.

f_o_c_u_s 11-13-2012 02:56 PM

yea fluid is fine. its full. just filled it up too when i did the solenoid. ill check it tonight though to see if its still looking good and ill make sure it doesnt smell burnt or anything.

iminhell 11-13-2012 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f_o_c_u_s (Post 4453867)
so whats the difficulty level of doing all that? i would rather see if i cant do it myself first. or at least do what i can before dropping a 100+ dollars to a mechanic.

dropping the pan, changing the filter and cleaning the magnet seems fairly easy. ill give that a try first and see what happens

the car has 102,xxx miles on it and nothing with the transmission has crossed my mind to even touch it. (thats bad i know :/) ill give the filter and and everything a try and see what happens. if that doesnt work ill try draining it from the line and see how that works. if worse comes to worse ill take it to a mechanic.

Don't know if I'm reading incorrectly or what,,,
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302068

Didn't you just drop the pan a few days ago?
Why wouldn't you of done the filter then? It's right there, as if the magnet.

I know people like to try and save money. But I really feel that this should be left to a pro.

f_o_c_u_s 11-13-2012 10:53 PM

yes i did. and i asked myself the same question.....after the matter. i dont know what I was thinking.