Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Adding a trunk release button (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302121)

night101 11-12-2012 08:00 PM

Adding a trunk release button

I have the 09 SEL without a much needed trunk release button. I need help on doing this properly. I'm 100% sure I found the cable under the steering wheel near the fuse box that goes to the release mechanism in the trunk and I'd like to tap into that with a push button/switch. The simplest way it so send a current on that line but I'll be sending current to that wire in both directions. (Am I explaining that right?) I thought about putting a diode to control that so I don't damage the computer.

I'm just looking for a second opinion before I break something.

Thanks.

sailor 11-12-2012 09:19 PM

Diode sounds like the right idea, since that circuit is "computer" controlled.

The earlier models with a button just signaled the system to open the trunk, it wasn't directly switched.

Tapping in with an external 12 volt source MIGHT not hurt anything, but why take a chance on what that "backfeed" might do.

Makes sense to me....

mikeeshaq 11-12-2012 10:23 PM

If you make a mistake then it is BIG $$$$$

Far Far better to get a Ford Wiring manual [Ebay 2009 Ford wiring manual] and wire the thing according to factory specs and parts

If you think a manual is expensive a big $$$$ mistake will wipe you out

night101 11-18-2012 08:43 PM

I ended up putting a diode into the mix. It worked perfectly. I was wondering If it's worth posting how I did it along with pictures? Is this a popular enough mod people want?

doubles 11-18-2012 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by night101 (Post 4461202)
I ended up putting a diode into the mix. It worked perfectly. I was wondering If it's worth posting how I did it along with pictures? Is this a popular enough mod people want?

I would be interested in seeing and knowing how this was done

night101 11-18-2012 09:55 PM

Ok. Seeing as how It's dark when I leave and come back from work, I'll do it this weekend.

Thanks.

doubles 11-18-2012 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by night101 (Post 4461277)
Ok. Seeing as how It's dark when I leave and come back from work, I'll do it this weekend.

Thanks.

Great thanks will be waiting to hear and see how its done

bile0026 03-12-2013 01:53 PM

How-to?

Did you ever get around to a how-to for this? I am looking at doing this as well and would love a little headstart if someone else has already got this working.

night101 03-12-2013 02:57 PM

Sorry I haven't followed up on this. I'd love to post something soon and I'll try my bet to do so. Do you guys prefer a video, pictures or diagrams? (not good at diagrams).

bile0026 03-12-2013 03:01 PM

Video or pics would be great! Wiring diagrams would be helpful if you really do need them.