Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   suspension problems???? i dont know (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302087)

sam fisher 11-12-2012 12:35 PM

suspension problems???? i dont know
 
ok so iv seen other talk about a problem not unlike what i recently started experiencing , and would like some opinions on what going on , so there are clunks coming from both wheelwells , it is MUCH more noticable when going over bumps and turning is the worst . its like when a wheel hits the bump that the clunking happens . also it feels like the car want to swerve when i hit bumps at higher speeds ( anything over 40 ) . its legitimatly scary , and if there is a major problem i want to know what it could possibly be.
my girlfriend takes my car sometimes and i couldnt think what id do if she got hurt in my car.

sailor 11-12-2012 01:08 PM

Three main joints that are common wear items in the front end:

Ball joint - attaches suspension arm to steering knuckle

Tie rod ends (inner & outer) - attach steering rack to steering knuckle. outer end MUCH more common to wear out, and your swerve note points this way

Sway bar links - attach sway bar to struts, most common for rattles going over bumps

Nothing to mess with when you have symptoms that ANY are worn out! One friend of mine who likes to drive things 'till they break recently had a ball joint break, luckily on an off ramp & not still at highway speed. Wheel jammed back against the fender & it skidded to a stop. Bent fender (and door from opening it into the bent fender), ball joint replacement (obviously), new CV axle (pulled out & dragged on road), and a new tie rod end as that was ready to go as well!

Get it checked out right away, or post back for hints on what to look for...

luck!

pasta 11-13-2012 06:06 PM

turn wheel all the way left make full turn then right full turn if you here clunk thats the cv joint repair immedietly

sam fisher 11-13-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pasta (Post 4454259)
turn wheel all the way left make full turn then right full turn if you here clunk thats the cv joint repair immedietly

like while driving?

Sent from my N860 using FF Mobile

some-guy 11-19-2012 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailor (Post 4452012)
Three main joints that are common wear items in the front end:

Ball joint - attaches suspension arm to steering knuckle

Tie rod ends (inner & outer) - attach steering rack to steering knuckle. outer end MUCH more common to wear out, and your swerve note points this way

Sway bar links - attach sway bar to struts, most common for rattles going over bumps

Nothing to mess with when you have symptoms that ANY are worn out! One friend of mine who likes to drive things 'till they break recently had a ball joint break, luckily on an off ramp & not still at highway speed. Wheel jammed back against the fender & it skidded to a stop. Bent fender (and door from opening it into the bent fender), ball joint replacement (obviously), new CV axle (pulled out & dragged on road), and a new tie rod end as that was ready to go as well!

Get it checked out right away, or post back for hints on what to look for...

luck!

I have almost exact same symptoms on a 00 focus I picked up not too long ago

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using FF Mobile

sam fisher 11-19-2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by some-guy (Post 4461766)
I have almost exact same symptoms on a 00 focus I picked up not too long ago

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using FF Mobile

annoying huh . i wish i could just redo the front end with all heavy duty components n stuff . things just keep failing up there

Sent from my N860 using FF Mobile

04ZTSJelf 11-19-2012 02:22 PM

Might have that same issue.

some-guy 11-27-2012 06:18 AM

Well my problem was DS ball joint, and PS end link. I replaced both LCA and end links. No more noise for the time being.

freemind 11-27-2012 09:40 AM

You should start replacing the others a little at a time FTW


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:49 AM.


http://www.focusfanatics.com/aboutus/copyright.asp