Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Ridiculous fuel mileage (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301962)

Darth_Focus 11-10-2012 04:31 PM

Ridiculous fuel mileage
 
I've got 3400 kilometers on a 2012 Ti hatch and I must say I'm far more than dissapointed in the mileage I'm getting. It's actually atrocious. I understand the driving style effects mileage...yadda...yadda..yadda, but the sticker says 7.3 L/per 100 KM city and I'm flirting with 11 L/100. 10.8 to be precise. Thats F-150 V8 territory. I don't drive like miss Daisy but I don't drive like The Bandit either. I know 7.3 is a perfect world but I'd expect something close to that albeit a little more. I'm lucky to get 400 kilometers to a tank with 150 of that on the highway. I got rid of a car in part to fuel mileage only to end up with the same thing, but with payments again. Its the DCT and it runs great and is a joy to drive mind you, but this mileage is really not sitting well with me.

cobie56 11-10-2012 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth_Focus (Post 4449618)
I've got 3400 kilometers on a 2012 Ti hatch and I must say I'm far more than dissapointed in the mileage I'm getting. It's actually atrocious. I understand the driving style effects mileage...yadda...yadda..yadda, but the sticker says 7.3 L/per 100 KM city and I'm flirting with 11 L/100. 10.8 to be precise. Thats F-150 V8 territory. I don't drive like miss Daisy but I don't drive like The Bandit either. I know 7.3 is a perfect world but I'd expect something close to that albeit a little more. I'm lucky to get 400 kilometers to a tank with 150 of that on the highway. I got rid of a car in part to fuel mileage only to end up with the same thing, but with payments again. Its the DCT and it runs great and is a joy to drive mind you, but this mileage is really not sitting well with me.

i hear alot of folks complain about the mileage on their Ti but for some reason, not so many who own other models... my sister has a Ti and drives almost 100% city (greater NY) and gets 23-25 mpg consistently.. I have an SEL and drive mostly suburban and get EPA advertised mileage, usually upper 20s city ('cept in dead of winter when it's in the 23-24 range) and 39-42 hwy (slightly over legal limits) and avg 30 overall.. so im happy...
i've not idea why, discounting driving style and terrain that folks get such wildly differing mileage.

IDare 11-10-2012 04:57 PM

Do you have the Handling package? The 18" wheels do effect mileage by probably 1-2 mpg compared to the base 16" tires.

I have a TI - non-handling package. City mileages averages 26- 28mpg and highway 34 - 38mpg. I'm averaging 31.6mpg with 14K miles on the car.

usc217 11-10-2012 04:58 PM

I have a sel with a dct and drive mainly highway and mpg stays between 36-39 mpg.

Darth_Focus 11-10-2012 05:05 PM

I have the handling package. But, an 18" summer rated hard sidewall, low profile tire will no doubt offer less rolling resistance than other setups. That should aid in mileage unless the rims are made of cement. We are talking 21 mpg here. That is brutal. I'm not even taking it above 4000 rpm, and that's spirited driving. I'm in Ontario. Its pancake flat here. Like I said, car runs great and I really quite enjoy driving it but something is amiss here.

Darth_Focus 11-10-2012 05:30 PM

So I decided to employ the K.I.S.S rule and check my tire pressure. Low and behold each one was 10 psi under the recommended cold tire pressure setting. I don't know if that's the entire problem, but I'm sure it's a start.

Pinion Dominion 11-10-2012 05:51 PM

I have a Ti Focus with Handling Package and I get 8.0 - 8.1L/100km Combined. Maybe 60City/40Highway.

But whenever I go on the highway and reset the reader I get about 5.8L/100km.

wilsonfocus86 11-10-2012 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth_Focus (Post 4449674)
So I decided to employ the K.I.S.S rule and check my tire pressure. Low and behold each one was 10 psi under the recommended cold tire pressure setting. I don't know if that's the entire problem, but I'm sure it's a start.

That is a start at least. Cold rated is 39, so you're running 29.. that will offer up some resistance with a lower psi reading no doubt.

ducati20 11-10-2012 07:13 PM

Man some of you guys get awful mileage... sel with auto, 29-30 straight city with my foot in it most of the time. The worst I ever got was 28... the ti can't have enough changes to kill the mileage that much... it's the same transmission right? They didn't sneak different gearing on the ti did they?

Sent from my Samsung tab

cobie56 11-10-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducati20 (Post 4449772)
Man some of you guys get awful mileage... sel with auto, 29-30 straight city with my foot in it most of the time. The worst I ever got was 28... the ti can't have enough changes to kill the mileage that much... it's the same transmission right? They didn't sneak different gearing on the ti did they?

Sent from my Samsung tab

not sure how cold it gets in AZ where u are but that has lots to do w/ mileage... in all my cars i've ever owned, when it gets cold in the winter (i mean really cold canadian cold, not the wimpy cold of the mid atlantic and southern states) mileage in the city suffers (hwy stays pretty much the same)... i see 25-30 mpg city in temps above 40F but when it's well below freezing my mpgs drop to low to mid twenties....


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:04 PM.


http://www.focusfanatics.com/aboutus/copyright.asp