Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   I seriously need help!!!! (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301922)

Mphillips717 11-09-2012 09:29 PM

I seriously need help!!!!

I have an 05 zx4 with 135000 miles it started dying, replaced the alternator seemed to run fine for about a month then started dying again so I replaced the battery, ran well for a month again and now I have replaced the starter and while doing that the battery completely died so I charged it which took about ten minutes of driving the car completely died out what could possibly be wrong????

UnbridledCarnage 11-09-2012 09:50 PM

moved ya over to tech chat for more help! Welcome to FF!!!

Mphillips717 11-09-2012 10:03 PM

Where do I find the tech forum?

Mphillips717 11-09-2012 10:04 PM

Never mind I see you just moved it here haha

sam fisher 11-09-2012 10:04 PM

your thread is now in it , he moved you

iminhell 11-10-2012 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mphillips717 (Post 4448660)
I have an 05 zx4 with 135000 miles it started dying, replaced the alternator seemed to run fine for about a month then started dying again so I replaced the battery, ran well for a month again and now I have replaced the starter and while doing that the battery completely died so I charged it which took about ten minutes of driving the car completely died out what could possibly be wrong????

I'm not following your though process of throwing parts at the car ...

"started dying" - how? Did the lights dim then the car shut off? were lights flickering?
The battery is generally most often found to be 'bad' when the car will not crank.
The starter has very little impact on anything I see you problem could be.
But,
I need more info on this "dying" thing first.

sleepyboy 11-10-2012 12:32 AM

You replaced everything except the wires. That would be my next thought, also the alternator pigtail likes to get pulled out causing problems. Other than that you need you clarify what is exactly happening like iminhell said.

amc49 11-10-2012 02:48 AM

Charge the battery FULLY on a charger, auto stores now do it for free. Driving a car for 10 minutes does not do that, battery being low on charge will simply fool you into buying more unnecessary stuff. Get alternator checked for output too.

More details again like they say, your story is wide open at this point, meaning 50 things could be wrong there.

Mphillips717 11-10-2012 09:03 AM

Ok I'm sorry I was unclear, I would be driving and out of nowhere the car would stall out so I took it to auto zone and they checked the battery said it was fine but noted the alt. needed checked so I removed the alternator and took it up there to get tested, afterwards they found it was bad so I replaced it, it ran for about a month seeming fine and one day it would not start so I took the battery to autozone and it was bad so I replaced it on August 16 2012 it ran fine up until the other night. when I attempted to start it the starter was just clicking so I removed it and took it to autozone and they tested it which failed so I replaced it. While replacing the starter, the battery died completely. I removed the battery and took it to auto zone where they charged it fully, I brought it home, installed it and after only ten minutes of driving it lost all lights and then it stalled out, got jumped and it did the same again. Sorry for being unclear using mobile device previously.

BC_ZX3 11-10-2012 10:39 AM

Some more suggestions for you:

1. Get a multimteter so you can measure the output of the alternator and state of charge of the battery yourself. As a preliminary check, the battery voltage should be above 12V with the car off, and 14.5V+ when running. Also the charging system wiring and connectors that join various charging system components should be inspected thoroughly for chafes/shorts and breaks; the Focus is known for a dodgy alternator connector plug as mentioned by sleepyboy. Remove and clean the battery terminals thoroughly and check for tightness.

2. Don't assume a part is good simply because it was already replaced. Test it again. I'm referring to your Autozone alternator which seems to have a very spotty reputation for quality on this site. The usual advice is to have an automotive electrician rebuild your original one.

I suspect your alternator has failed again or there is a wiring problem - regardless of the cause, your charging system is not functional - and you're simply draining/destroying batteries. The clicking sound is the starter relay not getting sufficient juice and stalling while driving indicates to me the car is/was running on battery power alone. There was likely nothing ever wrong with the starter motor as stated by iminhell.