Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   2012 Titanium Oil leak? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301810)

john43913 11-08-2012 06:51 PM

2012 Titanium Oil leak?

I'm no mechanic but I do my own oil changes. I just did my second oil change and noted some oil leaking.

Is this something to be worried about or should I just wipe it off and check it at the next oil change?

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-y...Q/s948/055.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-r...8/s948/052.JPG

cbdallas 11-08-2012 07:41 PM

Kinda surprising that your clutches aren't acting up. I believe this is what you see when you have a bad transmission input seal, which is starting to rear its ugly head on a lot of members' cars.

The fact is that it's leaking, and it's not going to stop, so you might as well take it in.

I'm almost dreading doing my next oil change for fear of what I may find.

Some Guy From NY 11-08-2012 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbdallas (Post 4446895)
Kinda surprising that your clutches aren't acting up. I believe this is what you see when you have a bad transmission input seal, which is starting to rear its ugly head on a lot of members' cars.

The fact is that it's leaking, and it's not going to stop, so you might as well take it in.

I'm almost dreading doing my next oil change for fear of what I may find.

I am dreading this too [:(]

whynotthinkwhynot 11-09-2012 06:35 AM

You have a warranty, use it. That could be a rear engine seal or transmission input seal. Either way, it's the fault of the manufacturer, and they should repair it. I'd work with FCS on this site and make sure you get a loaner car. I'd imagine your car will be in the shop for a couple of weeks depending on how quickly they can jump on it. With this sort of repair, they should keep the car after the repair, and drive it to be sure that it was done correctly. I'd write down the odo reading- as I always do- but don't be surprised to see 50 miles or so more than you had when you dropped it off. They should make sure that it has as least as much fuel in it as it had when you dropped it off. I'd use the phone camera to capture the image of both when you drop it off.

Because of the storm, if they want you to wait, it's ok. Leaks like this are no big deal. Just monitor the oil level, and document mileage. IDK how you'll add transmission oil- or what the trans oil is for that matter- but there should be some sort of method.

Zillon 11-09-2012 07:27 AM

You're not the first to note seepage from the bellhousing.

Take 'er in to the dealer.

FordService 11-09-2012 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john43913 (Post 4446828)
I'm no mechanic but I do my own oil changes. I just did my second oil change and noted some oil leaking.

Is this something to be worried about or should I just wipe it off and check it at the next oil change?...

Hi john43913,

Make an appointment so your dealer can inspect ASAP. Additionally, I'd like to escalate your case to your region's customer service manager so they can get involved. Please send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll get the ball rolling!

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbdallas (Post 4446895)

The fact is that it's leaking, and it's not going to stop, so you might as well take it in...

Quote:

Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot (Post 4447533)
You have a warranty, use it. That could be a rear engine seal or transmission input seal. Either way, it's the fault of the manufacturer, and they should repair it. I'd work with FCS on this site and make sure you get a loaner car. I'd imagine your car will be in the shop for a couple of weeks depending on how quickly they can jump on it. With this sort of repair, they should keep the car after the repair, and drive it to be sure that it was done correctly. I'd write down the odo reading- as I always do- but don't be surprised to see 50 miles or so more than you had when you dropped it off. They should make sure that it has as least as much fuel in it as it had when you dropped it off...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zillon (Post 4447557)
You're not the first to note seepage from the bellhousing.

Take 'er in to the dealer.

Thanks for all the great info, folks. I'm sure john43913 appreciates it!

Have a great weekend!
Crystal [thumb]

john43913 11-09-2012 10:19 AM

PM sent. Thanks for the assistance.

I have an appointment for this Thursday. I will let everyone know how it turns out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService (Post 4447677)
Hi john43913,

Make an appointment so your dealer can inspect ASAP. Additionally, I'd like to escalate your case to your region's customer service manager so they can get involved. Please send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll get the ball rolling!

Thanks for all the great info, folks. I'm sure john43913 appreciates it!

Have a great weekend!
Crystal [thumb]

JayDeZ 11-09-2012 11:49 AM

Ha! I have the same leak and took it in to get looked at. The tech gave me me some BS excuse saying it was an assembly lube. Looks like I'll be going back.

FordService 11-09-2012 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayDeZ (Post 4447920)
Ha! I have the same leak and took it in to get looked at. The tech gave me me some BS excuse saying it was an assembly lube. Looks like I'll be going back.

Hi JayDeZ,

I'm happy to step in here and see how I can assist. Just send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll explore our options.

Have a great weekend!
Crystal [:)]

technochick 01-09-2013 07:32 PM

Yikes! I just went to get an oil change and they showed me the same exact leak on my 2012 Titanium!! I hope it's nothing too serious but it would explain the weird liquid we saw on our driveway. I blamed my husbands car because it's the older car.