Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   Rear Brake Kit upgrade kits (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301783)

BOOSTA 11-08-2012 01:36 PM

Rear Brake Kit upgrade kits

Hey was looking to upgrade my rear drums to disc brakes, cant really find anything online anywheres, anyone know where I can get the upgrade kit?

I have an 03 ZX3 Duratec

felixthecat 11-09-2012 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BOOSTA (Post 4446346)
Hey was looking to upgrade my rear drums to disc brakes, cant really find anything online anywheres, anyone know where I can get the upgrade kit?

I have an 03 ZX3 Duratec

How far do you want to go? What size do you want to end up w/? I was looking for the svt caliper brackets like everone else & ended up going w/ tce's wilwood 11.75 kit. I'm surprised no one to machining of the svt caliper brackets.

Geezer 11-09-2012 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BOOSTA (Post 4446346)

I have an 03 ZX3 Duratec

Unfortunately Ford Parts quit supplying the SVT rear brake kit and the so called rally kit (slightly smaller than the SVT rotors). These were the two most common replacement kits. The other common option was to find those from Foci's equipped with advance trac (Anti-lock system) in a junk yard. You can get most of the needed parts "piece meal" but the resulting overall cost would be very high doing it that way.

There are several big brake kits available from major performance suppliers but these tend to be quite pricey and require improving the front brakes to maintain the proper brake bias. A bigger brake on the rear alone can cause it to prematurely lock-up before the front (less weight back there) which is bad for handling and control.

BOOSTA 11-09-2012 04:53 PM

Thanks guys Felix Im going to message ya on where i can fine some tce wilwood kit

Richard Bridgette 11-09-2012 06:43 PM

rear disc brakes

Just got back from the junk yard with front steering knuckles, hubs, rotors, and calipers from a 2005 Focus that will fit any 2001 to 2004 with just a change in the ball joint to the 2005 ball joint. The 2005 rotor is approximately 11 inches diameter, compared to the ten inch front rotors that came on 2000 through 2004. The rear disc brakes from any Focus up through 2007 will bolt right on to replace rear drums. Find a rear disc Focus in the junk yard and buy the splash shield, stub axle, hub, rotor, and caliper. The rear rotors are ten inch solid rotors. All that is needed are the disc brake ebrake cables. I paid $75 for each corner, total $300. Richard Bridgette, Huntersville, NC.

ah1f39 11-09-2012 06:55 PM

The Advancetrac rear disc parts are still available from Ford.

felixthecat 11-10-2012 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ah1f39 (Post 4448444)
The Advancetrac rear disc parts are still available from Ford.

Which are what the ST's use. ^^^^^Now it be great to see FRPP's to make that into a kit for you guy's. You would think that Ford would replace the svt kit w/ the ST rear kit, since Ford doesn't want to produce the svt caliper bracket for some reason. Why, IDK.