Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Headlight flicker (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301761)

Slowford 11-08-2012 08:01 AM

Headlight flicker

So I've noticed this a couple of times the past few months where I'm driving down the road with the lights on and the head lights will randomly flicker off and on. Not even completely off. Kind of like a flutter, if you will. It's completely random, and I can't recreate it. It sort of just happens once in a while.

Anyone have this or something similar happen to their car? I don't want to take it to the shop because I can't recreate it, but I'm not sure at all where to start troubleshooting. Any ideas?

jdubhack 11-08-2012 08:07 AM

Is it possible that you're going over a small "bump" in the road that is causing the illusion that your headlights are flickering?

First place I'd check would be the wiring harness to make sure that it is properly seated into the headlight housing.

cobie56 11-08-2012 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slowford (Post 4445714)
So I've noticed this a couple of times the past few months where I'm driving down the road with the lights on and the head lights will randomly flicker off and on. Not even completely off. Kind of like a flutter, if you will. It's completely random, and I can't recreate it. It sort of just happens once in a while.

Anyone have this or something similar happen to their car? I don't want to take it to the shop because I can't recreate it, but I'm not sure at all where to start troubleshooting. Any ideas?

i had a similar thing happen to me last summer.. once on a bumpy dirt road and another time on very smooth interstate...
driving along and all's well then all the lights flicker (outside the car and dash/mft lights) go out for a nano second, then go back on and all's well again.

Happened twice about 3 weeks apart then never again since July... very odd..

was unable to recreate the event (driving on a variety of roads, road surfaces and various speeds) and as it hasn't happened in four months im hoping it was some gremlin that has left the room lol.

FordService 11-08-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slowford (Post 4445714)
So I've noticed this a couple of times the past few months where I'm driving down the road with the lights on and the head lights will randomly flicker off and on. Not even completely off. Kind of like a flutter...

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobie56 (Post 4445776)
i had a similar thing happen to me last summer.. once on a bumpy dirt road and another time on very smooth interstate...
driving along and all's well then all the lights flicker (outside the car and dash/mft lights) go out for a nano second, then go back on and all's well again...

Hi Slowford and cobie56,

I would have your Service Tech check this out the next time you're in for scheduled maintenance or an oil change. Ford certified techs are going to be your best bet when it comes to diagnosis. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me via PM.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdubhack (Post 4445734)
Is it possible that you're going over a small "bump" in the road that is causing the illusion that your headlights are flickering?

First place I'd check would be the wiring harness to make sure that it is properly seated into the headlight housing.

Thanks for the good info, jdubhack!

Have a great day,
Crystal

oritpro 11-08-2012 11:50 AM

It could be a bad connection somewhere along the wiring harness or the contacts bouncing inside of a relay; although I am not sure if the Focus has a relay for the headlights or not.

cobie56 11-08-2012 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService (Post 4446249)
Hi Slowford and cobie56,

I would have your Service Tech check this out the next time you're in for scheduled maintenance or an oil change. Ford certified techs are going to be your best bet when it comes to diagnosis. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me via PM.

Thanks for the good info, jdubhack!

Have a great day,
Crystal

hi crystal.

i did , right away.. they said they never heard of this happening and didn't know what was causing it... the recommendation: wait and watch....

oritpro 11-08-2012 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobie56 (Post 4446316)
hi crystal.

i did , right away.. they said they never heard of this happening and didn't know what was causing it... the recommendation: wait and watch....

Wait and watch for what, the headlight(s) to go completely out? That could be dangerous under the right circumstances and costly if the police issue you a citation.

There's clearly a break in the circuit somewhere, it could even be the headlight itself. I'd get a second opinion if possible.

FordService 11-08-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobie56 (Post 4446316)
hi crystal.

Hi cobie56,

You are always welcome to get a second opinion at a different Ford dealership. Please reach out to me via PM if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Crystal [8D]

unclebrud 11-10-2012 05:05 PM

Hmm, I have had that happen a couple times, too. Didn't realize it was happening to other folks. I'll bring it up the next time it goes in...

cobie56 11-10-2012 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService (Post 4446521)
Hi cobie56,

You are always welcome to get a second opinion at a different Ford dealership. Please reach out to me via PM if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Crystal [8D]

thnx, crystal... i do like my dealership.. i feel they've been great so far (despite the wait and see recommendation) and seem very competent. I'll give it some time, as it's not happen'd since the summer so maybe it was just a computer gremlin or something.. dunno.