Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Might be rebuilding or replacing with only 92k (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301720)

boardgeneration 11-07-2012 07:16 PM

Might be rebuilding or replacing with only 92k

So I had my car towed to my mechanic yesterday thinking it was a dead alternator. Turns out it was only a fuse blown. But how it blew and if it will happen again is unknown.
While they were working on it they heard a slight rattle or tick. It started about two weeks ago I told them. It hasn't gotten worse but has concerned me.
I guess my question now is owing $4k still on the car, what would be my best option.
I have no problem with the thought of rebuilding and beefing er up. Or would just finding a junk yard it rebuilt and swapping be my best option.
To those who have done a duratec 2.0 build up, what is a good estimate on a build up. I don't know enough about the engine to do the work myself so if I scored all the parts I would find someone to do the work.
What have people here threw at their build as for price before install?
I plan on searching build threads to see what people have done but could use some ideas as well.
If it helps, after December 1st ill have about $300-500 a month to put towards a build. That's a max budget each month.

jetrinka 11-07-2012 07:57 PM

Change the oil and drive the thing. Save your money. It won't be worth the money to build it up.

streetfocus 11-07-2012 09:11 PM

What is the cause of the ticking?

felixthecat 11-08-2012 06:37 AM

You do have solid lifters you know. Ticking= how 'bout your injectors? How many miles? I wouldn't build it up= stick a 23 in it. Like said above change your oil/filter & drive it.

boardgeneration 11-08-2012 09:43 AM

It actually started around the time I did my last oil change. About 1000 miles ago.
It's not a typical tick like the injectors make. It sounds like its down under the valve cover in the drivers side. Like maybe a cam bearing or something.
Ill post a bit more when I get to talk to my mechanic later.

AllCarFan 11-08-2012 10:23 AM

So you heard a tick and without diagnosing it, you are contemplating a complete rebuild?

boardgeneration 11-08-2012 11:18 AM

I have a couple different types of fluid pumps here at work. Ive rebuilt many of them due to bearing wear so I know the sound of a bad bearing. The sound I'm hearing is similar to bad bearing noise. I guess it's more of a rattle and not really a tick.
I was merely asking what to expect to budget for a build up if I find something serious. I certainly not going to be throwing money at it right at the moment without investigating more. Im not a mechanic but I do most of my own repairs within my ability.
I'm changing the oil and filter again just to eliminate any issue there. Maybe I bought a defective filter. Cheap insurance. The shop is looking into it a bit more as well to help diagnose it.
I would eventually like to turbo it, so a build wouldn't be a total waste anyway. I would also love the experience to tare down and rebuild a motor once in my lifetime anyway.

felixthecat 11-08-2012 09:30 PM

Just for the heck of it= Grab a big straight edge screw driver, start the motor & put the end of the screwdriver where you think its noisey & put your ear to the handle end of the screwdriver & then move the screwdriver around & listen for different tones or noises.

drewts86 11-09-2012 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by felixthecat (Post 4447155)
Just for the heck of it= Grab a big straight edge screw driver, start the motor & put the end of the screwdriver where you think its noisey & put your ear to the handle end of the screwdriver & then move the screwdriver around & listen for different tones or noises.

I think that is the single coolest piece of advice I've ever heard. I almost want something to be wrong on my car so I can go try it out [8D]

markwb 11-09-2012 04:07 AM

It's called a sounding rod. Try it out, there doesn't need to be anything wrong.