Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   How To: Reset TPMS with no learning tool (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301692)

JMD787 11-07-2012 11:41 AM

How To: Reset TPMS with no learning tool

Hey guys and girls. I came across a way to train new TPMS sensors. Use this if you're installing winter wheels/tires that have sensors already installed, or even if you are just doing a tire rotation. Not sure if this has been posted before. I tried searching but didn't see it posted anywhere. No need to go and buy the TPMS learning tool.

1) Make sure your tires are inflated to the recommended psi. Mine is 40psi.

2) Turn ignition to the on position. If you have a push button start, push the start button without pressing the brake pedal.

3) Push the hazard light button 6 times. The horn should honk and you should see "Train left front tire" in the LCD display between the tach and speedo.

4) Release air pressure in the front left tire until you hear the horn honk. The LCD display should now read "Train right front tire".

5) Release air pressure in the right front tire until you hear the horn honk.

6) Repeat for the the right rear tire, and then the left rear tire.

7) You should now see "Training Complete" in the LCD display.

8) Fill your tires back up to the recommended pressure.

Enjoy!

PratoN 11-07-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMD787 (Post 4444287)
Hey guys and girls. I came across a way to train new TPMS sensors. Use this if you're installing winter wheels/tires that have sensors already installed, or even if you are just doing a tire rotation. Not sure if this has been posted before. I tried searching but didn't see it posted anywhere. No need to go and buy the TPMS learning tool.

2) Turn ignition to the on position. If you have a push button start, push the start button without pressing the brake pedal.

3) Push the hazard light button 6 times. The horn should honk and you should see "Train left front tire" in the LCD display between the tach and speedo.

4) Release air pressure in the front left tire until you hear the horn honk. The LCD display should now read "Train right front tire".

Enjoy!

Whaaattt!!?!? I am so going to try this! I presume you'll need to have driven on the tires a little bit beforehand to "wake up the sensors"?

Kaaru 11-07-2012 12:06 PM

I have to swap my ''all season'' tires for my winter tires this week-end. I will give this a try. Altho I have TPMS on my steelies wich were dealer installed when I got the car in nov 2011, I guess it wont cause no harm to have the old TPMS ''relearning''...just in case.
Where did you found this information btw ??

JMD787 11-07-2012 12:07 PM

No need to drive on them. Just put the wheels/tires on the car. Saw this on YouTube with a guy doing it to an F150 so I thought I would give it a try with my car and it worked like a charm. The TPMS learning tool that I bought from TireRack with my snow tire package didn't work at all, so I started searching the web for answers, and came across this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMkSfgyCCDI

Fast forward to about 4:20 for the TPMS part.

PratoN 11-07-2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMD787 (Post 4444337)
No need to drive on them. Just put the wheels/tires on the car. Saw this on YouTube with a guy doing it to an F150 so I thought I would give it a try with my car and it worked like a charm. The TPMS learning tool that I bought from TireRack with my snow tire package didn't work at all, so I started searching the web for answers, and came across this.

Makes sense! I took my car to the dealer for an oil change last winter and they said they couldn't get my TPMS to register (they're aftermarket) but when I ran over a nail, the screen gave me a different TPMS error than usual which leads me to believe that it was still sending signals once the pressure dropped ~25%.

aaron.b 11-07-2012 06:43 PM

Well I'm up to 2000 miles since installing my winter wheels with tpms sensers pre installed. Haven't yet had a warning light after installing and they've never been programmed

hand-filer 11-07-2012 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron.b (Post 4444968)
Well I'm up to 2000 miles since installing my winter wheels with tpms sensers pre installed. Haven't yet had a warning light after installing and they've never been programmed

Where are you storing the summer tires.

Sent from my iPad

pozi240 11-07-2012 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hand-filer (Post 4445078)
Where are you storing the summer tires.

Sent from my iPad

It doesn't matter where he stores them, the sensors go to "sleep" within a few minutes of non-motion. Ford has been using "auto-training" tpms sensors for a few years now. This has been discussed at nauseum in the other threads, if you just want the warning light to go out, no programming is needed. You can train them by position to the BCM if you like, but, since our cars do not display separate pressures, doesn't make much of a difference.

andriykoua 11-08-2012 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMD787 (Post 4444287)

Enjoy!

why why didn't you post this earlier, I've purchased the TPMS tool for $35 bucks damn it

hand-filer 11-08-2012 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pozi240 (Post 4445108)
It doesn't matter where he stores them, the sensors go to "sleep" within a few minutes of non-motion. Ford has been using "auto-training" tpms sensors for a few years now. This has been discussed at nauseum in the other threads, if you just want the warning light to go out, no programming is needed. You can train them by position to the BCM if you like, but, since our cars do not display separate pressures, doesn't make much of a difference.

I keep mine in the garage. If you park near the tires, the TPMS will reset to the signal of the tires each day. If you don't drive more than thirty miles +/- the TPMS light wont come on. Drive more than thirty miles and it will. I drove for 4 months before having to calibrate the winter wheels.
My Brother doesn't even bother with TPMS on his winter wheel package. Drives all winter without having the warning light come on. Guess what? That's right, his summer wheels are in the garage.
By the way the term is "ad nauseum"