Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   Help me choose my next suspension setup! (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301569)

dirtbiker348 11-05-2012 01:17 PM

Help me choose my next suspension setup!
 
Recently I ran over a rock, almost a foot off the ground, that was in the middle of the road. It was dark and i didnt see it until the last second. As a result i bent the rim, blew the wheel bearing, needed a new axle, alignment got set off and my strut blew.

So i got everything fixed but the strut because for some reason they didnt see that it was blown.

I have the Eibach pro-kit and I wasnt too fond of it to begin with. (the rear struts started squeeking after about 15k) Im thinking about either getting stock svt suspension or Bilstein monotubes so i never have to worry about bottoming out again. My only concern with the Bilstein kit is that it comes with the same springs that I have and I didnt think they were stiff enough for how low they drop the car to begin with.

My question is if I got the Bilstein kit would I notice a handling difference with the same springs but better monotube struts.? I feel like the better dampening of the monotube will compensate for the softer eibach spring but i dont want to regret buying them like i did my pro-kit.

I really dont want to buy twin tubes after this happening since I live in the sticks and something like this could happen again. I could care less about ride quality i just want to handle the best possible and I like the monotube design. Do you guys think the monotubes are worth it over the stock svt kit?

dirtbiker348 11-05-2012 01:24 PM

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s...2&autoModClar=

This is the kit I'm talking about. Does anyone know if they sell just the struts?

dirtbiker348 11-05-2012 10:47 PM

I found them alone without the springs if anyones interested. I think im going with these and keeping the eibach springs for now. I really think these are a lot better than any twin tube designs for the same price or more, I've read a lot of good things and it seems pointless to buy any twin tube design struts/shocks. I hope these mono tubes stiffen everything up more than the eibachs did

Does anyone have these on their focus???
Has anyone bought anything off this site?

Front
http://proamauto.com/i-10106313-bils...-assembly.html

Rear
http://proamauto.com/i-10105177-bils...-absorber.html

felixthecat 11-06-2012 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtbiker348 (Post 4441964)
I found them alone without the springs if anyones interested. I think im going with these and keeping the eibach springs for now. I really think these are a lot better than any twin tube designs for the same price or more, I've read a lot of good things and it seems pointless to buy any twin tube design struts/shocks. I hope these mono tubes stiffen everything up more than the eibachs did

Does anyone have these on their focus???
Has anyone bought anything off this site?

Front
http://proamauto.com/i-10106313-bils...-assembly.html

Rear
http://proamauto.com/i-10105177-bils...-absorber.html

Seems like your sold on mono tubes.

Geezer 11-06-2012 11:07 AM

For less money, Koni Strt's should match up with the Pro springs. If you're still unhappy with the pros switch them with some SVT springs and continue to use the Strt's. Bilsteins are top notch although the "8's" could be overkill. These are serious dampers meant for serious springs. The B6's (aka Heavy Duty) might be better as a daily driver. In either case the Bilstein's will probably last longer than your car will.

dirtbiker348 11-06-2012 03:23 PM

I messaged bilstein on fb in search of the struts/shocks themselves and this is what they refered me too. If these handle better than b6s i can sacrafice ride comfort

1hotfocus 11-06-2012 09:56 PM

Wow those struts interest me.. the price isn't bad either.. I just am sketchy about the website, never heard of them before..also, how do you know which side is which for the front? Shouldn't they have two different part numbers like other struts?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using FF Mobile

felixthecat 11-06-2012 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1hotfocus (Post 4443502)
Wow those struts interest me.. the price isn't bad either.. I just am sketchy about the website, never heard of them before..also, how do you know which side is which for the front? Shouldn't they have two different part numbers like other struts?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using FF Mobile

You can tell which strut goes on which side. Look at the tab where the strut goes into the spindle & the brake line/ sway bar end link tab.

1hotfocus 11-06-2012 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by felixthecat (Post 4443561)
You can tell which strut goes on which side. Look at the tab where the strut goes into the spindle & the brake line/ sway bar end link tab.

I thought the link provided was for one strut only? There for two?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using FF Mobile

dirtbiker348 11-06-2012 10:50 PM

The shorter ones are for the front. The only reason I'm considering buying off that site is because i dont need the springs. Tire rack sells a kit with these struts and eibach springs http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s...2&autoModClar=


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:27 PM.