Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Opinion on Fuzion HRIs (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301568)

wolfwyndd 11-05-2012 12:01 PM

Opinion on Fuzion HRIs

Hey all. Wanted to get your opinion on the Fuzion HRI tires.

They came with the 03 ZX3 that I just bought but I'll probably end up getting a new set of tires before winter REALLY sets in since the drivers side rear tire is badly cupped (due to a loose stabilizer bar). The drive tires in the front aren't TOO bad. So here's my dilemma. Do I replace just the rear tires (which are shot) to stick with a set of 4 Fuzion HRI tires, or do I bit the bullet and get another set of all 4 tires which may (or may not) be cheaper? The big question seems to be are the Fuzion HRI tires worth a crap? If they are, I'll probably stick with them. If not, then what are your opinions on decent (not Autocross, but not Wal-Mart specials either) tires / brands?

md11mx 11-05-2012 06:43 PM

I suggest you read the customer reviews of tires on merchant web sites. There are more than one doing it. Good luck.

dirtbiker348 11-05-2012 07:15 PM

I have hri's on my svt, they handle and wear very good and i drive pretty spirited. I used them spring-fall the past 2 years and they're still not at the indicator. i read a lot of good reviews about them before i bought them. I think i might get summer tires next just because i have snow tires but if your gunna be driving in the snow i'd say the hri's are the best all seasons for the money. Only 90 a tire

felixthecat 11-05-2012 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfwyndd (Post 4440838)
Hey all. Wanted to get your opinion on the Fuzion HRI tires.

They came with the 03 ZX3 that I just bought but I'll probably end up getting a new set of tires before winter REALLY sets in since the drivers side rear tire is badly cupped (due to a loose stabilizer bar). The drive tires in the front aren't TOO bad. So here's my dilemma. Do I replace just the rear tires (which are shot) to stick with a set of 4 Fuzion HRI tires, or do I bit the bullet and get another set of all 4 tires which may (or may not) be cheaper? The big question seems to be are the Fuzion HRI tires worth a crap? If they are, I'll probably stick with them. If not, then what are your opinions on decent (not Autocross, but not Wal-Mart specials either) tires / brands?

Checkout Tirerack's comparison on different tires. I'd put the front ones on the back & buy a couple of desent tires for the front & get a 4 wheel alignment.

wolfwyndd 11-06-2012 09:26 AM

Thanks MD. I have read a handful of reviews and it seems to be pretty much 50/50. Some like them, some don't. Of course, its often difficult to tell what kind of vehicle they are on. If they aren't on a Ford Focus, how good of a comparision can it be?

Dirtbiker. I've toyed with the idea of doing summer / winter tires, but I'm not sure if I really wanna be doing that right now. Most notably because at the moment I'm living in an apartment and I've no where to store one set of tires over the 'off' season. I'm also a bit curious to see how well the Focus drives in the winter with all season tires. The last time I owned a Focus it was a '04 sedan and I owned it over the summer. I never had a chance to drive it in the winter or snow.

Thanks Felix. I have not yet checked out Tireracks comparision, but I will soon. That's actually kinda what I was HOPING to hear and kinda planning on. Getting two new ones for the front and moving the front ones to the rear. However, if I found that the Fuzions are really a piece of crap, I was going to get 4 new of whatever the most people seem to recommend.

Geezer 11-06-2012 09:56 AM

In my opinion, the Fuzions are a good (not great just good....especially for the price) tire for daily driving. I installed a set on my Focus and found them to be surprisingly decent in the rain and snow as well. My ZX3 had a SVT suspension and the two seemed to compliment each other nicely. No bad habits or surprises when occasionally pressing them. They have pretty stiff sidewalls and get pretty good wear as well. I sold the car to my next door neighbor two years ago and he puts lots of miles on them (his commute is about 60 miles a day) and they still look good and are wearing evenly.

wolfwyndd 11-13-2012 02:22 PM

Thanks everyone. Before I get new tires I had to first replace the loose stablizer bar in the rear that was causing the cupping in the first place. That got replaced this weekend. Felix, I did check out the tire racks prices and all and the repair shop right down the street from me has them for the exact same price and ordering the tires through them I don't have to worry about shipping or paying for the mounting and they'll stand behind their work since they are a Fuzion 'authorized dealer.' Geezer. I HOPE I get as good wear out of them as you mention.

2GreenAutos 11-13-2012 03:25 PM

I have put over 100k on just fuzion HRi tires, my ZX3 has never had anything else. My only complaint is they are kind of loud. Other than that you can't beat them for the price. I keep an eye on Ebay and craigslist and buy them lightly used. Been doing this for years and never pay more than $50 for a tire. Usually keep a couple in my garage in case I get a nail in the edge of a tire, I don't have to order one.

I have SVT suspension and take corners hard and fast, no failures and they hold up well as long as I rotate them on time (SVT suspension is hard on the insides of the back tires).

Geezer 11-13-2012 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfwyndd (Post 4453911)
Before I get new tires I had to first replace the loose stablizer bar in the rear that was causing the cupping in the first place.

That's the first time I've ever heard of a sway bar causing a tire to cup. A sway bar really doesn't dampen a spring in any way. Sway bars simply transfer weight from one side of the car to the other. Cupping is caused by a spring not being properly dampened (allowing the tire to bounce up and down uncontrolled due to a worn out shock). To a lessor extent, and out of balance tire can result in a cupping pattern as well.

wolfwyndd 11-16-2012 09:40 AM

GreenAutos. Not a bad idea. I'll keep my eye on ebay. Not a bad idea to keep a couple hanging around. Unfortunately, ATM I live in an apartment and storage is at quite a premium. Tires are about last on my list to store.

Geezer. Maybe it was the balancing then and not the bar that caused the cupping. All I'm sure of is that the tread depth on the outside of the tire was about 5/32 and the inside was 3/32. And that was only on the drivers rear. They did do a 4 wheel alignment and it was way out of whack. They gave me a print out, but of course that's gone into my repair folder at home and I'm not.