Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   SVT Performance (2002-2004) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   strange rev climb (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301375)

Felix_the_Red 11-03-2012 11:46 AM

strange rev climb

Hello all, I own a 2004 SVT focus and it has developed a very strange quark (go figure). when i depress the clutch to shift the rpms will climb on there own untill :a. i put it into gear or b. I decelerate down to about fifteen MPH. Im pretty stumped on this one so.....ideas?

valk_17 11-03-2012 12:59 PM

Mine is also a 2004, and developed the same problem a little over a month ago. Haven't been able to isolate the problem yet, so hopefully someone who has will respond.

RecoilRob 11-04-2012 11:49 PM

There is a clutch switch that affects the engine controls when it is activated. But the larger culprit is probably the emission tune. Mine would actually speed up sometimes when I left off the gas! Very frustrating for sure. The cure is an aftermarket tune which can eliminate the hanging revs and other weird behaviors. If your cars are stock....seek a tune!:)

StephenElsbree1986 11-05-2012 07:42 AM

I thought this was not to lose your revs? 3 friends all have s197 stangs and they rev while shifting nt to lose RPMS I though one has a 07 10 and 12, confused because mine started to do this after Tom's tune thought it was all a performance mod? If this is a bad thing maybe I should let him know... and also my friends lol.. The 07 GT really bad at doing this and they're all stock ECU's

Caligreen 11-05-2012 09:03 AM

Hey guys I've got a similar problem with my 02 svt. It's happened twice in the two weeks I've owned it, ill turn on car and start to drive then when I let off gas(1st gear) it still revs and drives if in gear. Ill take it out of gear and it still revs high, kinda embarrassing too.

tukaniSVT 11-05-2012 09:20 AM

Yes that's a culprit of the factory tune. Since the SVT Focus was aimed for performance on small tracks and we don't have a very strong low-torque, the factory tune had a placement where the revs would stay up during a shift to keep you in that high-torque range.

Weird, yes. But that's it. It happened to me alot before I got a tune on my ride years back.

-Ray-

Caligreen 11-05-2012 08:34 PM

What kind of tune are we talking about here? Dyno tune or maybe EC reflash? A friend of mine has a acura and had an EC reflash for this sort of thing. If I have no mods I dont think a dyno tune is what were talking about correct? I am new as shit to cars so don't hate! Any help is awesome! Also I just got my SVT with 70K, its mint but many people are saying first thing to replace is timing belt, ye or ne?

StephenElsbree1986 11-05-2012 08:45 PM

well if your timing belt never been changed you're car will die at 80k-100k miles and probably cost alot to fix......... Tom tunes mostly all our cars. He is the person to go to. and either tune is a reflash is it not..... I know Tom likes to dyno tune for FI cars

StephenElsbree1986 11-05-2012 08:50 PM

Also do you mean like preset tunes...? is what your friend had done? Because if you have the SCT2/3 Tom will do lifetime Custom Tune updates for 150 as long as you stay NA. It helps with alot of random issues a stock SVT has I return my to stock for 2 days before I got Tom's done and I was embarsed and had to preload my other tune. Car was [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]g reving to 3k rpm in my parking spot...

tukaniSVT 12-06-2012 09:27 AM

Yes the orginal factory tune is what would create that. And yes, Ford does have an updated re-flash for SVTs.

You can visit your local Ford dealership and see what they say. If they determine that you have the current flash of the ECU. Then it is a matter of custom tuning your ride.

Sorry for the late reply, but yea, many of the SVT owners have gone the custom tune route. And we have tuners on the site that can help you with that. 1TurboFocus aka Turbo Tom, who is also a vender on this site as Focus-Power, is a popular tuner that can help you with that issue.

You can find him here and then PM him or create a new thread in there for him to see it right away. CLICK HERE TO GO TO HIS THREAD AREA

Ray