Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   SVT Performance (2002-2004) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   2003 SVT Focus Parts ADVICE/ SUGGESTIONS (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301265)

DanCamSVT 11-01-2012 10:32 PM

2003 SVT Focus Parts ADVICE/ SUGGESTIONS

Hello, I just bought a use 2003 SVT Focus w/ 70,000 miles.
I'm looking to upgrade this car to make it moderately fast but nothing too crazy. It is my everyday driver.
I need suggestions on a new clutch, motor mount, Intake manifold, headers etc.
I'm aware that parts for this car are not cheap, but my goal is to hook my car up and drive it for a while since it has a decent amount of miles.
any suggestions or advice on what parts would be best for my vehicle is greatly appreciated!

tukaniSVT 11-01-2012 11:44 PM

Well since it is a much older ride now, parts are too expensive either.

The SVT is quite maxed out already ... but if you want better driveability and a bit more umph within the RPM range.

You should look into a Tune, HFC (High Flow Cat), CAI (Cold Air Intake), Short Throw Shifter, Poly Mounts (If you don't mind a bit of shake during idle), Some good suspension for better turning (of course the SVT is quite good stock in the turn ability) and maybe a TB (Throttle Body).

Without going FI (Forced Induction) you won't gain much but about 10-15 HP overall. But again, these mods are for more drivability and will change the way the car feels throughout the RPM range.

-Ray-

1turbofocus 11-02-2012 11:35 AM

I have to agree and in the order he did the mods in is what I would also do but I would do the TB about the time of the ORP or HFC

Tom

DanCamSVT 11-02-2012 02:27 PM

Thank you fellows , I will definitely work my way up to make this car as nice as possible.
One thing that I do have to change is the clutch. Leaning towards a stage one clutch but not too familiar with the brands. Also, I've heard the rear motor mount by the firewall is not the best for he stock svt. Any suggestions on brands etc. ? Thank you

thenorm 11-02-2012 03:05 PM

the car is already nice and wont get much more power.

personally i would stikc with cosmetic stuff like tint, and suspension and tires.

nate4027 11-03-2012 03:18 PM

Not to hijack this thread but I have a bent exhaust manifold on my SVT. Only mod I have is a cold air intake. Would it be wise to replace with stock SVT manifold or replace with the OBX stainless header I seen on ebay. The stock manifold is considerably more expensive than the OBX. Thanks!

zx3_bmxrider 11-03-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nate4027 (Post 4437973)
Not to hijack this thread but I have a bent exhaust manifold on my SVT. Only mod I have is a cold air intake. Would it be wise to replace with stock SVT manifold or replace with the OBX stainless header I seen on ebay. The stock manifold is considerably more expensive than the OBX. Thanks!

Stock SVT manifold would be your best bet in my opinion. Its better than the OBX. But, if you cant find one and you need one ASAP, I would use the OBX one until you can find a SVT one.

nate4027 11-03-2012 03:31 PM

Why do you think that? The OBX looks so pretty lol

SVTFocusOnMe 11-06-2012 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nate4027 (Post 4437985)
Why do you think that? The OBX looks so pretty lol

Pretty isn't always functional.

tukaniSVT 11-12-2012 08:21 AM

Top Speed actually makes an SVT Manifold that, from their dyno charts, makes more power than the stock one. But I haven't heard of anyone on here buying the manifold and getting a users confirmation of that. It is a bit pricey for a part, but again, if it works. It could be worth it.

I for one will not try it because it will change my class in AutoX. But it does intrigue me.

-Ray-