Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   SVT Performance (2002-2004) (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   New to SVT and cars in general (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301130)

Caligreen 10-31-2012 11:26 AM

New to SVT and cars in general
 
Hey all, just signed up! I bought a 2002 SVT totally stock, but it kicks ass!!! I had a nissan frontier truck before and I thought that was quick and handled well, the SVT blows me away! I know nothing about cars/trucks and am just wondering what I should be looking at or upgrading in terms of maybe a little more HP. Mainly I would just like to know if theres anything I should check into since it's a 2002 with 73k, only had one owner though and I cannot believe how immaculate the car is! Engine sounds/feels great. Clutch replaced when purchased. Thanks for any help, I have checked out the performance thread, but I wanted to start my own about general issues and to introduce myself. [drinking]

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...40903474_o.jpg

qweesy 10-31-2012 02:03 PM

Timing Belt

Quickone4u 10-31-2012 02:22 PM

Not just the timing belt but the timing belt assembly (belt,idler pulley,tensioner pulley,valve cover gasket needed as well during this). The pulleys are just as important as the belt as they tend to fail and lead to belt failure from what I've read. Some people also replace the water pump while doing this as well but I've read as long as you aren't having issues with it then it isn't a have to item.

Caligreen 10-31-2012 02:59 PM

Timing belt eh? My car guy says it would be nice to preemptively replace that but it isn't required until 120k, considering I've got only 73k do you think I could go for a cold air intake before the timing belt replacement? Thanks for the quick response! It seems like a lot of people really love this car, I am falling for her ;)

Quickone4u 10-31-2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caligreen (Post 4433039)
Timing belt eh? My car guy says it would be nice to preemptively replace that but it isn't required until 120k, considering I've got only 73k do you think I could go for a cold air intake before the timing belt replacement? Thanks for the quick response! It seems like a lot of people really love this car, I am falling for her ;)

Definitely not! The book may say it isn't required until then (although I haven't seen that) but it most definitely is a preventative maintenance that you should have done first off on the list! Otherwise you will be looking at spending a lot more if the belt or a pulley decides to fail and you end up damaging valves/pistons and so on! No kidding get it done. I have read where most recommend doing it in a 60,000-80,000 mile range and yes people have had failures in this mileage range. Others will chime in to back this up but trust me, this is the #1 thing that I have read about making sure is done regarding the SVTs regardless of shape or mileage! No kidding!

nascaracing17 10-31-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caligreen (Post 4432661)
Hey all, just signed up! I bought a 2002 SVT totally stock, but it kicks ass!!! I had a nissan frontier truck before and I thought that was quick and handled well, the SVT blows me away! I know nothing about cars/trucks and am just wondering what I should be looking at or upgrading in terms of maybe a little more HP. Mainly I would just like to know if theres anything I should check into since it's a 2002 with 73k, only had one owner though and I cannot believe how immaculate the car is! Engine sounds/feels great. Clutch replaced when purchased. Thanks for any help, I have checked out the performance thread, but I wanted to start my own about general issues and to introduce myself. [drinking]

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...40903474_o.jpg

welcome man. the svt is definately kick ass but as mentioned before make sure you get that timing belt fixed cuz its an interference motor

Caligreen 10-31-2012 07:45 PM

Thanks for the heads up guys, unless anyone else has a different opinion I'll be saving for the timing belt ;)

RevLimit 10-31-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caligreen (Post 4433471)
Thanks for the heads up guys, unless anyone else has a different opinion I'll be saving for the timing belt ;)

Welcome to the forum!

Listen to what Quickone4u said and you cannot go wrong. The SVT engines are pretty strong if you do your part by using quality oil and changing it frequently (3,000 no more than 5,000).

If you don't have a lot of experience working with cars then I would recommend that you hire someone to do the timing belt replacement for you. I have replaced timing belts on several cars and the SVT was the most frustrating one to replace so far.

ah1f39 10-31-2012 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caligreen (Post 4433471)
Thanks for the heads up guys, unless anyone else has a different opinion I'll be saving for the timing belt ;)

Do not let just "your car guy" work on the timing belt on your Focus.

There is a very specific prodedure that must be followed to change the belt.

If not performed correctly serious dammage can be done.

Find someplace/someone who is experienced with SVT Focus timing belts.

Chris_HT 10-31-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ah1f39 (Post 4433572)
D
Find someplace/someone who is experienced with SVT Focus timing belts.

ya, they are located just by the leprechauns at the end of the rainbow


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:42 PM.


http://www.focusfanatics.com/aboutus/copyright.asp