Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ford Focus & General Car Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Ford Hits Major Pothole With 2012 Consumer Reports Reliability Survey (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=300963)

FFTeam 10-29-2012 12:20 PM

Ford Hits Major Pothole With 2012 Consumer Reports Reliability Survey

http://media.il.edmunds-media.com/fo...102912_717.jpg
Problems with the Ford Explorer, Fiesta and Focus propelled Ford to next to last among 28 car brands ranked in the Consumer Reports 2012 Annual Auto Reliability Survey.

Consumer Reports characterized Ford's woes as "a perfect storm of reliability problems." It was a stinging remark, especially given the fact that Hurricane Sandy, a monster storm, was bearing down on the Eastern U.S. as the study was released.

"Ford's bumpy road can be seen in the numbers," said Jake Fisher, director of automotive testing for Consumer Reports, in a statement. "Sixty percent of Ford-branded models and half of Lincolns were below average in predicted reliability, and none placed above average."

The consumer watchdog noted "Several factors contributed to Ford's decline in Consumer Reports' reliability rankings." It also said, "Only two years ago, Ford was Detroit's poster child for reliability."

"A few new or redesigned models, including the Explorer, Fiesta and Focus, came out of the gate with more problems than normal," the report said. "Ford has also added the MyFord/MyLincoln Touch electronic infotainment system, which has been problematic so far, to many vehicles. In addition, three historically reliable models — the Ford Escape, Fusion and the Lincoln MKZ — are not included in the analysis; the three were redesigned for 2013 and CR doesn't yet have reliability data on them."

The reliability score is based on the three most recent model years of data, providing the model has not been redesigned for 2013.

"We listen closely and value feedback on our vehicles — whether it's from customers or third parties, such as Consumer Reports," wrote Francesca Montini, a Ford spokeswoman, in response to an e-mailed query from Edmunds. "We remain absolutely committed to continuously improving and providing the highest-quality vehicles to our customers.

"MyFord Touch continues to enhance customer satisfaction, with owners recently reporting a 25 percentage point increase in satisfaction based on the software upgrade issued in March.

"Also, 71 percent of owners with the upgrade say they would recommend MyFord Touch to their friends. The all-new Fusion and Escape models — two important vehicles that traditionally play a significant role in the overall final ranking — are not part of the sample this year due to their launch timing."

Edmunds' data offers a different spin on consumers' reactions to Ford.

"Despite Consumer Reports' consistent criticisms of Ford's infotainment systems, including today's negative report, consumers have not been deterred in their interest in Ford vehicles," said Michelle Krebs, Edmunds.com senior analyst.

Krebs said that shopping consideration, an indicator for marketing effectiveness and consumer interest — but not necessarily purchase intent — for Ford vehicles, including Ford and Lincoln brands, came in number two behind Toyota products, according to Edmunds.com data. Consideration for Ford models has risen steadily since March. The Ford brand was number one in shopping consideration on Edmunds.com in September.

In September, Ford brand also was number one in purchase intent — a stronger indicator of consumers leaning toward a purchase of the brand, Krebs noted.

Toyota is "setting the pace in reliability," Consumer Reports said. Scion, Toyota and Lexus swept the top spots in the reliability study, with
the 2013 Toyota Prius C earning Consumer Reports' top score overall.

Cadillac is the top U.S. brand, having moved up 14 spots this year. The 2013 Cadillac CTS coupe was the most reliable domestic car.

"Chrysler brands had a few setbacks," the reliability report said. "The Dodge Charger, for example, returns with well-below-average reliability."

Audi had its best showing ever, moving up 18 spots to eighth place, "making it easily the most reliable European make and the top non-Japanese brand," the report said.

The complete report can be found at ConsumerReports.org starting today.
Text Source:Edmunds.com

flyboyike 10-29-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FFTeam (Post 4428943)
Toyota is "setting the pace in reliability," Consumer Reports said. Scion, Toyota and Lexus swept the top spots in the reliability study, with
the 2013 Toyota Prius C earning Consumer Reports' top score overall.

Once you drive a Toyota, you never stop.

mjd4277 10-29-2012 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyboyike (Post 4429095)
Once you drive a Toyota, you never stop.

Unless you crash and burn!

WiscoGTI 10-29-2012 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjd4277 (Post 4429881)
Unless you crash and burn!

And are too stupid to shut the car off.

billand 10-29-2012 11:52 PM

I never read consumer reports because they are full of it. Consumer reports is a one sided review towards Toyota

Nik00117 10-30-2012 06:22 AM

I have seen very few warranty issues on any of the Ford products that I've delivered in the last few years.

sjdwales 10-30-2012 06:27 AM

Most of warranty stuff/recalls I see are updates to the PCM. No big deal

lyonsroar 10-30-2012 09:27 AM

I don't take much stock in Consumer Reports either...but I'll have to agree with their analysis of Ford. Just judging by the sheer number of posts on FF complaining about problems here....problems there...

elsolo 10-30-2012 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lyonsroar (Post 4430348)
I don't take much stock in Consumer Reports either...but I'll have to agree with their analysis of Ford. Just judging by the sheer number of posts on FF complaining about problems here....problems there...

agreed

Phokus 10-30-2012 06:02 PM

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars...able-cars.html

Ok so here's my beef with this.
What the hell is with this list?

See how the Explorer is listed twice? Now look at how the Focus is listed with hatchback.
Does that imply the sedan is more "reliable" ?

I mean the Explorer V6 4WD was listed differently from the V6 2WD that means the other Explorers are ok? Meaning the 4cyl is fine and maybe the Ecoboost V6 too
Also by the way, I have to say.. the Explorer's front end is ugly as hell.. lol