Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   2013 SE Manual Trans hesitation in all gears (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=300959)

dinosaurneil 10-29-2012 11:40 AM

2013 SE Manual Trans hesitation in all gears
 
Hello,

New guy here. I'm driving my first Ford, a 2013 Focus SE manual trans with 1700 miles on it. Left for work this morning and while driving the mile to get out of my neighborhood the car operated fine. Once pulling out onto a major road the car hesitated in every gear. It did not jerk when accelerating, it just was very slow, regardless of which gear I put it in.

I had this feeling that it could be computer related or the whole thing needed a "do over" so I pulled over, shut it off and immediately started it back up. Then it was back to its normal peppy self.

Looking into this problem online, and even comments by the sales staff at the dealership seemed to indicate that this was possible with the DCT. Since mine is a manual, I was wondering if anyone had seen anything similar before. Thanks!

mike_s_82 10-29-2012 12:37 PM

You can look at this thread. Don't think anything's come of it.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=281609

dinosaurneil 10-29-2012 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_s_82 (Post 4428964)
You can look at this thread. Don't think anything's come of it.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=281609

Wow, this sure sounds like it. The only difference is that I wasn't using cruise control. Thanks for forwarding it.

FordService 10-29-2012 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinosaurneil (Post 4428868)
...Once pulling out onto a major road the car hesitated in every gear. It did not jerk when accelerating, it just was very slow, regardless of which gear I put it in.

I had this feeling that it could be computer related or the whole thing needed a "do over" so I pulled over, shut it off and immediately started it back up. Then it was back to its normal peppy self...

Hi dinosaurneil,

I'd advise that you make an appointment at your dealership so they can take a look. Additionally, I'd be happy to escalate your case and get your regional customer service manager involved. They will coordinate efforts with your dealership to work on a resolution. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and daytime phone number; I'll get things moving.

Crystal

cbdallas 10-29-2012 01:17 PM

I had a 2002 Altima that did this for a few months before I was able to determine what it was. Do an internet search for a Ford TSB relating to 'reduced power' and like searches. That's how I discovered that there was a TSB for my Altima that the dealership had never heard of. It's difficult to diagnose a problem when it sets no codes, but that doesn't always mean the computer isn't malfunctioning. My Altima needed a reflash (outlined in the TSB) and it never happened again.

mike_s_82 10-29-2012 01:21 PM

I happened to me twice and I was not using the cruise either.

zehkaiser 10-29-2012 04:18 PM

What kind of RPMs were you pushing? It may sound stupid, but if you're always driving around under 2k, you're not gonna get anything but lugging and grumbling out of it.

dinosaurneil 10-29-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zehkaiser (Post 4429241)
What kind of RPMs were you pushing? It may sound stupid, but if you're always driving around under 2k, you're not gonna get anything but lugging and grumbling out of it.

I was flooring it at one point and downshifting just to make sure it wasn't too high of a gear for the speed. I think the highest I saw it rev was just above 3k. That said, I was trying to give it all the gas I could because at the time, it felt like that was the problem.

slow3v 10-29-2012 05:25 PM

These engines don't build significant power until ~4k. Give it a shot. I swing my needle to 6800RPM frequently.

I guess you have to when you go from 300whp to 150whp.

dinosaurneil 10-29-2012 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_s_82 (Post 4429014)
I happened to me twice and I was not using the cruise either.

What conditions was this under? How long apart were the occurrences? What cleared it up for you?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:23 AM.


http://www.focusfanatics.com/aboutus/copyright.asp