Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   air recirculation (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=300915)

onestout 10-28-2012 05:18 PM

air recirculation

I turned on my cabin recirculation the other day because I was behind a diesel that really stunk. After a few minutes I could smell it again, I looked and the recirculation had turned off. I pressed the button again and it only stayed on for 5 minutes before it turned off. I couldn't find anything in the manual that says it should turn off on it's own and all the other cars I've had it would stay on. Looks like I have something I need to take the car in for....it's never fun getting the bugs out of new cars.

Has anyone else tried theirs (without max AC on) and it stayed on as it was supposed to?

ibinubu12 10-28-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onestout (Post 4427648)
I turned on my cabin recirculation the other day because I was behind a diesel that really stunk. After a few minutes I could smell it again, I looked and the recirculation had turned off. I pressed the button again and it only stayed on for 5 minutes before it turned off. I couldn't find anything in the manual that says it should turn off on it's own and all the other cars I've had it would stay on. Looks like I have something I need to take the car in for....it's never fun getting the bugs out of new cars.

Has anyone else tried theirs (without max AC on) and it stayed on as it was supposed to?

It's probably just the control head logic. I don't think it's necessarily "broken" it might be for occupant comfort. I don't know, as I either use MAX A/C or fresh air modes.

jdetzel 10-28-2012 09:13 PM

Didn't know it did this:
From page 117 of the Owners Manual
4. (Recirculated air): Press to activate/deactivate air recirculation in
cabin. Recirculated air may reduce the amount of time to cool down the
interior of the vehicle and may also help reduce undesired odors from
reaching the interior of the vehicle. Recirculated air engages automatically
when MAX A/C is selected or can be engaged manually in any airflow mode
except (defrost). Recirculated air may turn off automatically in all
airflow modes except MAX A/C to reduce fog potential.

onestout 10-28-2012 09:22 PM

I must have missed that last line. That really sucks, how does it know if it is going to fog up?? I really hate that it doesn't let me have control when I want it on.

OffRoadRanger 12-13-2012 09:10 AM

My fiancÚ asked me about this today for her 2011 Focus. Thanks for the information. It saved me a bit of time troubleshooting.

BrApple 12-13-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OffRoadRanger (Post 4496359)
My fiancÚ asked me about this today for her 2011 Focus. Thanks for the information. It saved me a bit of time troubleshooting.

Except that was in reference to the 2012+ Focus. The 2011 could still be different.

Just Tom 12-13-2012 10:46 AM

Yes, I noticed this as well. Whenever I turn the A/C to AUTO, I have to manually reach down and hit the Recirc button. This is annoying, but my Lexus does the same thing. Crazy!

sprcoop 12-13-2012 02:30 PM

This is the first car I have had that thinks it know better than I when recirc should be on. I don't like it. You need to have A/C on Max to keep it from going "fresh" and I have never found a way to keep it on recirc for heat. That's nuts but the way it was designed.

lddavis 12-13-2012 04:44 PM

Quote:

how does it know if it is going to fog up??
Temperature and perhaps humidity sensors.

Recirculated air traps humidity inside the car and leads to fogged windows if the temp/humidity is right.

Some cars also use carbon monoxide or nitrogen oxide sensors to monitor interior air quality. I don't know if the Focus has one or not. In this case, you really do want that outside air when the sensor says so...

flingwing1969 12-13-2012 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onestout (Post 4428076)
I must have missed that last line. That really sucks, how does it know if it is going to fog up?? I really hate that it doesn't let me have control when I want it on.

You can turn on max A/C with re-circulation off and then adjust your temp to your taste. You can run max A/C with the heat up and be quite comfy.