Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Dome light not coming on automatically at night (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=300791)

annewaldron 10-26-2012 08:05 AM

Dome light not coming on automatically at night

2012 FF Hatchback new owner here.

I've had to work late a couple nights this last week, and I noticed as I unlocked and got into my car that it was pitch black inside, which didn't make me feel very safe in a dark parking lot (The footwells illuminated, however). I looked in the owner manual, and all it said was that the dome light should be coming on automatically. The manual shows the dome light with a forward-placed button and a button behind the light, But mine actually has two buttons that are forward from the light, and I have no idea what the passenger side button is supposed to control, which has some kind of little graphic and the word "off". I fiddled around with all of these buttons and was not able to get the dome light to come on automatically when I opened up the car.

But here's the strange thing. On the third night of getting into a dark car I called the dealership which was still open and they said to bring it in and they'd help me figure it out. When I got there, I got out of my car, closed the door and locked it up, and unlocked it just as a test to make sure that I could recreate the problem. The freaking dome light came on when I unlocked the car! I was not able to re-create the problem, and I was exhausted, so I just got back in my car and drove home. They were busy in the dealer service area anyway and since I couldn't re-create the problem which I know they require, I just gave up for the night.

So I'm still in the dark, so to speak! I have no idea what's going on here. Comes on sometimes, doesn't come on other times. Any ideas?

FordService 10-26-2012 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by annewaldron (Post 4424511)
2012 FF Hatchback new owner here.

I've had to work late a couple nights this last week, and I noticed as I unlocked and got into my car that it was pitch black inside, which didn't make me feel very safe in a dark parking lot (The footwells illuminated, however). I looked in the owner manual, and all it said was that the dome light should be coming on automatically. The manual shows the dome light with a forward-placed button and a button behind the light, But mine actually has two buttons that are forward from the light, and I have no idea what the passenger side button is supposed to control, which has some kind of little graphic and the word "off". I fiddled around with all of these buttons and was not able to get the dome light to come on automatically when I opened up the car.

But here's the strange thing. On the third night of getting into a dark car I called the dealership which was still open and they said to bring it in and they'd help me figure it out. When I got there, I got out of my car, closed the door and locked it up, and unlocked it just as a test to make sure that I could recreate the problem. The freaking dome light came on when I unlocked the car! I was not able to re-create the problem, and I was exhausted, so I just got back in my car and drove home. They were busy in the dealer service area anyway and since I couldn't re-create the problem which I know they require, I just gave up for the night.

So I'm still in the dark, so to speak! I have no idea what's going on here. Comes on sometimes, doesn't come on other times. Any ideas?

Hey there,

How frustrating! The next time you take your Focus in for an oil change or other scheduled maintenance, tell the Service Advisor about the dome light so they can take a look. It may be something as simple as a loose connection. If you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to reach out to me via PM; I'm happy to see how I can help.

Have a great weekend!
Crystal

annewaldron 10-26-2012 12:07 PM

Well my experience is that if the problem's not happening when I'm there (because it didn't happen when I took it there the other night), they won't do anything. I've already had that experience with them twice before :(

(I mean, I get it, but it's a big inconvenience for me to go there for nothing)

annewaldron 12-05-2012 03:54 PM

Update: took the car in, they checked the service codes- nothing. But the dome light still comes on only intermittently. And unfortunately I have to get in my car late at night sometimes- don't feel safe.

1slofofo 12-05-2012 04:02 PM

Mine is flawless during the day, half and half at night. I've noticed that hitting unlock twice helps sometimes.

annewaldron 12-05-2012 04:16 PM

I tried unlock twice, too. Tried all kinds of stuff.

The weird thing is that if I leave work by around 7 (after dark), it usually comes on. If I leave after 8, it doesn't.

???

Pinarello Rider 12-05-2012 04:37 PM

I've noticed this since I bought the car. I think it has something to do with the buttons on the overhead dome light. Sometimes it comes on, sometimes it doesn't. Hopefully someone will chime in who figured it out - there are some determined people on this site... This drives my youngest child crazy because the booster seat he is in has a back that is too square for the seat, so when he climbs in, the seat will shift and block the seat belt just enough that he can't buckle in by feel.

Maybe the Ford customer service reps who frequent the site will have a solution.

MK3_TX 12-05-2012 04:46 PM

Between the two buttons in front of the light towards the car,one is to turn on all the inside dome lamps...the other to completely turn off all of them even with the doors open. The big button on the backside of the front dome lamp is for the front light only. I know my experience was if you have the domes set to " off" and press it again while the door is open it will not come on . You have to close all doors and when you reopen it they will come one . Hope that makes sense ,sitting on the toilet typing this on my phone !

Pinarello Rider 12-05-2012 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MK3_TX (Post 4485237)
,sitting on the toilet typing this on my phone !

What did I say about determined...?

[pray]

annewaldron 12-05-2012 06:30 PM

Checking in to say that my dome lights came on. It's 6:30.