Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ford Focus & General Car Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   door edge repair cost (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=300706)

splicedwdm 10-25-2012 09:16 AM

door edge repair cost
 
Hi All,

Just wondering if someone out there could give me a general idea, in CDN dollars, of how much it would cost to fix my door edge. Please take a look at the pic. I was thinking of having the dealer do it if it's reasonable.

Many Thanks!

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4694434/IMG_0232.JPG

zetecDon 10-25-2012 11:45 AM

You could have any body shop do it for around $200 US. At least with the people I know that is. But if you were to have the dealership do it, it's going to cost a lot more. For a scuff that small, the cost of the paint will be more than labor in most cases.

splicedwdm 10-25-2012 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zetecDon (Post 4422888)
You could have any body shop do it for around $200 US. At least with the people I know that is. But if you were to have the dealership do it, it's going to cost a lot more. For a scuff that small, the cost of the paint will be more than labor in most cases.

Thanks very much. I'm hoping they'll cut me a deal considering I'm having a new set of tires put on. If not, I'll have to find a good place nearby.

splicedwdm 10-30-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splicedwdm (Post 4422930)
Thanks very much. I'm hoping they'll cut me a deal considering I'm having a new set of tires put on. If not, I'll have to find a good place nearby.

The dealership is going to fix it for the cost of the touch-up paint because I'm purchasing tires and rims from them. $10 is a great deal - looks like they want my continued business!

Ziggy Cockburn 10-30-2012 04:18 PM

The problem with having the dealership doing it is that since you are NOT paying for it they will spend around 4 seconds fixing that and making it look like a dogs breakfast. I had A similar mark on my car and the dealer ship did such a shitty job they made it look worse. They did not even prep the area and the paint came off 2 days later.

I did it my self 2 months ago and you can't even notice it.



Go to an body supply store and get a bottle of paint for your car with the code on the door with the handy brush for around $10 cash (you will end up with about 4 times as much paint as the dealership pen will have). Take steel wool and try to tidy up the loose paint in the area and to get any surface rust that may be forming off the raw steel (carefully) then clean it 4 or 5 times with Q-tips and Methyl hydrate (alcohol). Then mask it off along the edge so you wont be able to see the paint when the door is closed, and paint it.



Just take your time and do a good job masking and when the paint dries no one will be the wiser.

splicedwdm 11-07-2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziggy Cockburn (Post 4430955)
The problem with having the dealership doing it is that since you are NOT paying for it they will spend around 4 seconds fixing that and making it look like a dogs breakfast. I had A similar mark on my car and the dealer ship did such a shitty job they made it look worse. They did not even prep the area and the paint came off 2 days later.

I did it my self 2 months ago and you can't even notice it.



Go to an body supply store and get a bottle of paint for your car with the code on the door with the handy brush for around $10 cash (you will end up with about 4 times as much paint as the dealership pen will have). Take steel wool and try to tidy up the loose paint in the area and to get any surface rust that may be forming off the raw steel (carefully) then clean it 4 or 5 times with Q-tips and Methyl hydrate (alcohol). Then mask it off along the edge so you wont be able to see the paint when the door is closed, and paint it.



Just take your time and do a good job masking and when the paint dries no one will be the wiser.

My dealer was true to his word, and did an excellent job repairing the blemish - it looks like new. It's been quite a few days now, and no issues. [:)]


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:19 AM.