Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Autocross Racing (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   H&R+Koni Yellers ok for SMF? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=300697)

GodLovesUgly 10-25-2012 01:01 AM

H&R+Koni Yellers ok for SMF?

I know this set up is solid, but is it solid enough for SMF? I'm talking on a local level. our region is pretty competitive and i want to keep up.
Should i be looking in another direction?
yup, went with power mods before suspension [:I]
Thanks

ecugrad 10-25-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GodLovesUgly (Post 4422304)
I know this set up is solid, but is it solid enough for SMF? I'm talking on a local level. our region is pretty competitive and i want to keep up.
Should i be looking in another direction?
yup, went with power mods before suspension [:I]
Thanks

I don't see why not. H&R Street or H&R race?

wrc_fan 10-25-2012 10:37 AM

My guess... its a 85% of the way there setup for a SMF suspension. Sorry I don’t remember all the details on your build, but here is some of my thoughts on progression to a SMF car:

You could slap on the konis and H&R stuff, then work on building all of the cubic dollar stuff involved with getting the other 15% built into the car. Go play with custom arms with spherical bearings at the joints. Aluminum mounts with delrin bushings for the swaybars. Custom adjustable sway bars with adjustable endlinks. Build in some camber adjustment with the custom control arms. Fab up some super awesome camber plates with alignment perches and Torrington bearings. Then after you got all that, get some high dollar coilovers.

wrc_fan 10-25-2012 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecugrad (Post 4422746)
I don't see why not. H&R Street or H&R race?

IMO H&R race is the only stiff enough of the shelf replacement spring to be competitive in our cars.

ecugrad 10-25-2012 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrc_fan (Post 4422771)
IMO H&R race is the only stiff enough of the shelf replacement spring to be competitive in our cars.

Totally agree on that but it wasn't specified, so I'd figure I would ask.

wrc_fan 10-25-2012 11:09 AM

hehe, GLU just needs to get it together :P

GodLovesUgly 10-25-2012 02:32 PM

ha! H&R Race for sure.

I've been leaning towards this set up.. i need something on my car and it's relatively cheap. after i get a suspension on, i'm going to try and tackle tires.... not looking forward to that.

85% is 10% more than i thought! awesome.

wrc_fan 10-25-2012 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GodLovesUgly (Post 4423215)
ha! H&R Race for sure.

I've been leaning towards this set up.. i need something on my car and it's relatively cheap. after i get a suspension on, i'm going to try and tackle tires.... not looking forward to that.

85% is 10% more than i thought! awesome.

Well, that is my rough guess. The setup puts me in the top 25% pax locally most of the time, but I figure 10% is my driving...lol. Its decent damping, and starts to get you in the realm of wheel rates that you need. Going beyond this is where your trading lots of dollars for tenths of seconds.

GodLovesUgly 10-25-2012 04:27 PM

only 10%?? psshhh i thought you were the Stig??

This is great, it really sounds like this is the suspension i'm ready for. we'll see how the car turns out, if it does pretty well, i'll upgrade the suspension. I understand this car will probably never be nationally competitive, but an SMF Focus sounds like a whole lotta fun!

i'm sort of stuck this off season.. I want to run SMF next season, but i'm having a lot of fun with the Miata.... debating on selling the Miata and upgrading my transmission on the SVT with the cash.. thoughts?

mikebontoft 10-25-2012 04:50 PM

is she running yet?