Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Titanium w/ handling package. Low mpg San diego (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=300398)

Cfcastro 10-21-2012 08:50 PM

Titanium w/ handling package. Low mpg San diego

I have been getting a miserable 26/27 mpg here in San Diego. My commuted to work is about 25 miles on the 805 here in San Diego. I would get 27/28 in my 2010 xB. What gives!?!

suss6052 10-21-2012 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cfcastro (Post 4416437)
I have been getting a miserable 26/27 mpg here in San Diego. My commuted to work is about 25 miles on the 805 here in San Diego. I would get 27/28 in my 2010 xB. What gives!?!

I'm guessing its a combination of traffic, hills, and how you are driving, but its impossible to predict exactly how a car will do under every single operating condition.

KibaWolf 10-21-2012 09:25 PM

ur not alone, im getting just arround 24 mpg with my Ti. w./ handling package, i do a lot of city stop and go and just a few highway, it suck I must say but I live with it lol

narkotskyb 10-21-2012 10:12 PM

It's basically stops & traffic lights - I feel u completely - myself in UTC

GoldenHour 10-21-2012 10:18 PM

In 3000 miles I am averaging right under 27 mpg but I recently did a 750-mile road trip where I averaged 37 mpg. My current tank is about 3/4 gone and I am right at 23.1 mpg for the tank.

This1GoesTo8 10-22-2012 12:07 AM

If you've just been watching MPGs this month, it may be winter gas. Since prices are so high around here, we've gone to the cheaper winter blend early. Winter gas always gives poorer MPG; every vehicle I've owned (cars and motorcycles) drops around October, and goes back up in March/April.

That being said, my Ti w/o the handling package crossed 2000 miles Friday, and I decided to take a long-ish freeway cruise, since it's now mostly out of any kind of break-in period. Starting in Santee, 52W to 15N to 78E to 5N, turned around in Camp Pendleton at Las Pulgas Rd, 5S to 52E and back home gave an average 38 MPG for about 130-mile trip. If that's on winter gas I'm very happy with this car.

Also, for laughs I went out 8E to the rest area, headed back and reset Average MPG at the Border Patrol Checkpoint. Being almost completely downhill, I hit 93MPG at Sycuan!

billand 10-22-2012 12:37 AM

We have a ti with handling pack we get 28 to 30 mpg just depends in traffic 85% city 15% highway. We took a road trip a month ago and got 42 mpg highway at 70 mph. When we first got the car it got horrible mail age around 22 then got better as the miles built up on the odometer

xwhit3devilx 10-22-2012 01:12 AM

(Long post, skip to end if you're feeling lazy)
From what I've seen around here and from my own experience the Focus really takes an MPG hit in hilly areas. My analysis is as follows.

It's well known that the TI-VCT engine in the Focus makes the bulk of its power in the upper middle to high rpm range, thus while driving up a hill the engine really needs to be revved hard to climb. You can add all the fuel saving tech in the world but when push comes to shove high rpm driving is detrimental to fuel economy.

Now Toyota on the other hand builds it's inline fours using a long stroke over-square design. The advantage of this design is great low end torque, but the downside is it sounds coarse and cant respond to driver input very quickly. This, in my opinion is very appealing to the majority of car buyers. Most people don't care about having fun behind the wheel- they just want the car to move when they step on the gas. These kinds of people don't like revving an engine very much and will often mistake the lack of low end power on the Focus for a weak motor. I'll use our 2007 Rav4 as an example- it weighs 3300lbs and has an 165hp motor coupled to a hilariously outdated (on paper) 4 speed slushbox automatic. Yet due to it's low end torque, it can climb hills at a much lower rpm than the Focus can. A hill the Rav4 can take at 2000rpm the Focus needs to spin up to at least 3000. This is even more impressive for the Toyota given that due to its torque converter auto it loses more power between the engine and the road than the Focus does with its DCT. (That and the fact the Toyota is 300lbs heavier makes this kind of sad for the Ford)

By coincidence, my Rav4 has the same 2.4L engine that your xB has so this is very relevant. The engine in the new Hyundai Elantra is also designed this way which is probably why lots of people here find it so boring, but why it's so successful to the general population.

In short, the Focus lacks low end power which results in poor fuel economy in hilly areas.

Phokus 10-22-2012 06:46 AM

Don't forget your big 18" wheels take more to rotate from a stop in stop and go traffic
I wonder what it'll be like when I get my smaller/lighter winter setup

cobie56 10-22-2012 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cfcastro (Post 4416437)

My sister just bought a loaded Ti and made a 370 mile trip to see me. she had a big ole 25 miles on the car when starting out. For the full tank (first tank in this car) she got 33.9 mpg driving all hwy over mostly hilly and/or mountainous terrain.

In my SEL doing the same route i avg between 38 and 41 mpg.