Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Axel boot torn....new boot or half shaft?? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=300315)

Blown2go 10-20-2012 02:38 PM

Axel boot torn....new boot or half shaft??

Hello all! So the the other day I replaced all four shocks on the ol' focus SVT as she has hit 90k. I didn't realize it until a day later that somehow the inner CV joint axle boot has ripped and has sprayed grease all over. Oreilly auto sells new remanufactured half shafts for 70 dollars or a new boot kit for 20. Is it worth replacing the entire axle while I have it all apart? Or should I just take the shaft out and install a new boot?

Thanks! [wrenchin]

SVTF4243 10-21-2012 06:34 PM

Replace the shaft worth the extra $50
Changing the boot is A PITA

BigRed03 10-21-2012 09:10 PM

$70 isnt terrible. Id go that route, or order an empi axle off of ebay for the same price.

bbcobra 10-22-2012 08:19 PM

isn't the svt axel shaft bigger than a standard focus?

BigRed03 10-22-2012 10:49 PM

i cannot recall, but i think it has a different number of splines on the differential side.

felixthecat 10-23-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVTF4243 (Post 4416277)
Replace the shaft worth the extra $50
Changing the boot is A PITA

I 2nd that ^^^^ Replace the axle. Your going to have to pull it out anyhow & I'd rather be pulling in a new one. And how long has that joint been that way, w/ the boot tore? Who knows.

amc49 10-23-2012 10:02 PM

I have a tendency to go for the boot alone. Or I did, back when one could find the correct boot easily. Not that hard to change one. Problem nowadays is that most boot sizes have dried up over the counter, they would much rather make the sale of the bigger part. Some of the O'Reilly boots I've seen were abysmal in quality or wrong size (doesn't matter that they say it will work, they'll say anything) and the split ones are absolutely worthless. Meaning............in this case the $50 extra is a really good deal.

Blown2go 10-30-2012 01:52 PM

well....I replaced the boot on the passenger side. The half shaft just pulls right out at the cups so no need to pull the axle. The only problem was that the ford half shaft for the inner cups is not perfectly round meaning the new universal boot wouldn't seal. The solution i came up with was to cut and use the old end of the boot and clamp the new boot over the very end of the old boot. Works great....but for the driver side i will be replacing the entire axle. Pain in the rear either way! Looks like the driver side half shaft will be easier to change however!

amc49 10-31-2012 07:44 AM

Driver side is harder to get out of trans.......................

1turbofocus 10-31-2012 09:38 AM

To me drivers is easy to get out , remove Pass side CV from trans , have everything loose on drivers side and put psi on the CV (pry with large screwdriver)on the trans , go in through the trans on the pass side with a long punch give the dirvers side a good hard rap and it will fall right out , works every time for me

Tom