Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK2 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   Starter Mods for my Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=300184)

Miller88 10-18-2012 08:27 PM

Starter Mods for my Focus

So, I've decided that I'm going to keep the Focus! Now that I'm not traveling a lot for work, I was thinking of getting rid of it and getting something older and higher mileage so I wouldn't have to deal wit ha payment. The difference in higher gas and no payment would save me like $100 a month ... not really worth it.

So - where should I start to make the car "mine"?

I was thinking of doing a Steeda SRI. I really don't understand why they are more expensive than a FSWerks CAI ... It's smaller. i really don't like the CAIs as they're pretty close to the ground and it rains a lot here

-Or-

I could spend that money on a front stress bar and a rear sway bar.

I don't drive the car any harder than your average grandma (I usually average 36+mpg) ... so I won't usually utilize them.

I've already painted the grille black with plastidip, and I'm working on tracking down a set of headlights to bake and paint dark.

I just want to make the car "mine" ... so to speak.

Slammed_2.0 10-19-2012 04:44 AM

I'd go with a SRI as it will increase your MPG.

As far as the stress bar, it's a waste of money. Doesn't improve the stiffness of your focus around corners. The RSB on the other hand, will make a difference.

Miller88 10-19-2012 08:06 AM

I think at this point I'm looking at one or the other.

Is my car going to have the mounting holes for the bushings? I know that it's going to have to have aftermarket mounts for the end links.

PSUrivie 10-19-2012 11:59 AM

An intake, exhaust, and a tune is always a great start.

indy_11 10-19-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miller88 (Post 4413261)
I think at this point I'm looking at one or the other.

Is my car going to have the mounting holes for the bushings? I know that it's going to have to have aftermarket mounts for the end links.

if your car doesn't come with one then you would need to buy the brackets to put one in. steeda makes them, but that's only if you don't have one. if so you're good. but yea, like everyone said, intake, exhaust and tune. still need to get a tune for mine so i can't really say it makes a great difference but other people can tell you it does.

Miller88 10-19-2012 07:41 PM

What about where the bushings bolt to the unibody "frame"? Are there threaded nuts in there? I'm going to be undercoating it.

Are there fuel economy tunes? This is my commuter car, the Jeep is my "fun" vehicle. I have to wait until the warranty is up for that, however.

I haven't been in a Focus with a sway bar, but I upgraded the swaybar on my taurus and it was much better. At this point I'm leaning towards the sway bar to start.

Also thinking of plasti-dipping the summer wheels when the time comes.

felixthecat 10-23-2012 08:44 AM

[QUOTE=Miller88;4414129]What about where the bushings bolt to the unibody "frame"? Are there threaded nuts in there? I'm going to be undercoating it.

Are there fuel economy tunes? This is my commuter car, the Jeep is my "fun" vehicle. I have to wait until the warranty is up for that, however.

I haven't been in a Focus with a sway bar, but I upgraded the swaybar on my taurus and it was much better. At this point I'm leaning towards the sway bar to start.

I'd be looking underneath to see if your car has a sway bar to begin with. If it does you could just replace the rubber bushings w/ poly ones + the end link's. If not, Steeda has a sway bar kit w/ brackets. Steeda also has a sri to increase the response. A tune would really help also with the efficentsy of the motor.

Miller88 10-23-2012 04:07 PM

No rear swaybar, checked :(

kevin99hoss 10-27-2012 02:29 AM

If i remember right the SE package dosnt come with a rear sway bar but the SES and SEL do. I am in the same boat as you right now OP i'm thinking after winter it will be time for a CAI and tune hoping for optimal gas mileage.

Miller88 10-27-2012 09:36 PM

I can get 40mpg out of it if I drive it easy, 45 is hard but possible.