Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Driving in sport mode shifting from 2-3 problem? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=300064)

k1ngkev1n1 10-17-2012 01:19 PM

Driving in sport mode shifting from 2-3 problem?
 
i noticed when i shift from 2nd - 3rd using select shift in sport mode it takes a second. It revs the engine and then shifts but shifting from 1-2 and 3-4-5-6 shifts fine its just 2-3 any reason for this? is it normal? am i shifting too early or too late? just curious what you guys thought.

cbdallas 10-17-2012 01:34 PM

You might want to take a technician for a ride so he can see what it's doing. It sounds like something is causing a delay with whichever clutch powers 3rd gear, although it's strange that it doesn't affect the 4-5 shift as well. Reving between shifts can cause accelerated clutch wear. Any other wierd behavior? Shuddering from a stop?

k1ngkev1n1 10-17-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbdallas (Post 4410259)
You might want to take a technician for a ride so he can see what it's doing. It sounds like something is causing a delay with whichever clutch powers 3rd gear, although it's strange that it doesn't affect the 4-5 shift as well. Reving between shifts can cause accelerated clutch wear. Any other wierd behavior? Shuddering from a stop?

when in sport mode it doesnt studder from start, when in drive mode it will mainly in the early morning, some rattling mainly when driving slowly atleast thats when i can tell mostly.

cbdallas 10-17-2012 01:46 PM

Judging from what I'm seeing on this forum, a lot of people's clutch problems stem from a leaky transmission input shaft seal, which basically allows oil to get onto the clutches. This can cause them to be grabby, or slip depending on the quantity of oil. Take it in, and see if you can get a service advisor or tech to take a ride with you.

k1ngkev1n1 10-17-2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbdallas (Post 4410283)
Judging from what I'm seeing on this forum, a lot of people's clutch problems stem from a leaky transmission input shaft seal, which basically allows oil to get onto the clutches. This can cause them to be grabby, or slip depending on the quantity of oil. Take it in, and see if you can get a service advisor or tech to take a ride with you.

ok should i wait till after my first oil change or just take it in? i have 2000 miles on it. 2012 focus SEL sedan built july 2012

cbdallas 10-17-2012 01:54 PM

Whatever is convenient for you. They're not going to care if you've had your oil changed or not.

k1ngkev1n1 10-17-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbdallas (Post 4410299)
Whatever is convenient for you. They're not going to care if you've had your oil changed or not.

Just placed a service appointment for saturday morning... wonder how long it will take for them to check it out ....

Kabigon 10-17-2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k1ngkev1n1 (Post 4410234)
i noticed when i shift from 2nd - 3rd using select shift in sport mode it takes a second. It revs the engine and then shifts but shifting from 1-2 and 3-4-5-6 shifts fine its just 2-3 any reason for this? is it normal? am i shifting too early or too late? just curious what you guys thought.

Try shifting from 2 > 3 at a higher speed and see if it doesn't shift faster.

k1ngkev1n1 10-17-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabigon (Post 4410382)
Try shifting from 2 > 3 at a higher speed and see if it doesn't shift faster.

yea ive tried that but seems the rpms go way up and still does the same. Im taking it to ford torrance saturday hopefully they can fix it. maybe i need an update or something..

sogosu 10-18-2012 01:29 PM

How high do your revs climb when shifting from 2nd to 3rd?

I picked up my 2012 Focus Ti hatchback (7/12 build) yesterday and started noticing the same thing.
When I drive in S mode and shift at around 2000 rpms from 2nd gear it continues to rev for about a second to 2700rpms before 3rd is engaged even though the display shows I'm in 3rd. If I shift from 2nd at 3000rpms it revs for about a second to 3800rpms before engaging 3rd gear. Other 1-2, 3-4, 4-5, 5-6 are all smooth and instant.

I'm lucky I don't have the shuddering or other accelerating issues some people on here have (knock on wood) but this is still pretty significant.

Please let us know what the dealer says.
I'm booking a service appointment next week.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:21 AM.