Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Melted Cat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=300031)

Davidt2169 10-17-2012 12:57 AM

Melted Cat

I'm looking at buying another SVT, I don't know a whole lot about them, I recently just purchased my first one.
The one I'm looking at now is the same thing as mine now, a 2001 SVT
But the guy said the Cat is melted and it bogs it out. I drove it a little and it drove better after a while as if It blew some junk out. But anyway, my question is for a quick fix(temporary) would hollowing it out be a hard job. I know that it's tucked inside there pretty good, but I haven't looked at it much and I can't find a good diagram, is it molded to the exhaust header or is it a separate part. It looks like one big piece.

Sorry I'm totally new to these cars, and cars somewhat in general, always had trucks.

redSVT_03 10-17-2012 01:03 AM

sooo you have a 2001 svt and are about to get another? interesting [scratch]

theres orps in the buy sell trade section. this just rplaces the cat and only 1-200 bucks. thats a rare car and all being a 2001 svt, should get it back on the road agin asap[giddy]

sleepyboy 10-17-2012 01:04 AM

Welcome to the forum [welcome] [ffrocks] [loveff]

First off the SVT was only made 02-04 no other years produce. Second I'm assuming you have a normal zetec? You can find out just by popping the hood, it should say right there on top of the motor what it is. My yeller' focus clogged it's cat up and was very slow due to it. Just flooring it to keep up with traffic. I did hollow it out and it was a pain in the butt to do so. You probably would be better off getting another one or replacing it all together with a aftermarket header which would get rid of it all together. Magnaflow makes a direct replacement cat if you choose to go that route. Most of us just upgrade to the header and dump the cat all together.

sleepyboy 10-17-2012 01:04 AM

Oh and I moved your thread to the Technical Chat area since your having a technical problem and not asking about performance. I also got rid of your other thread you just made. No need to have two identical threads in two different locations.

Davidt2169 10-17-2012 01:10 AM

Sorry, new to these cars
And that means the guy I bought a mine from either put a SVT badge on it or is just dumb on the year. And same with one I'm looking at. Then again the one I'm looking at I assume was a 01 cause it looks like the one I have now.
Sorry

sleepyboy 10-17-2012 01:15 AM

You need to find out for sure what you have and what your looking at. There is a difference between the two. I suggest you read up on the focus HERE . This will help you learn and differentiate the different models. Seller's prey on people like yourself. Just because it's got a badge doesn't mean it's what it is. It's always a good idea to read up on any make and model car your interested in buying or thinking of buying.

Davidt2169 10-17-2012 01:16 AM

And Ok, another big question. It's an hour away from me, would it be okay to drive home to work on it with the melted cat, it does run, and once it's up cruising its not bad. Cause I've been reading a number of problems a melted cat can cause

sleepyboy 10-17-2012 01:18 AM

I dunno, it's up to you. I know my cat was glowing cherry red at one point. Never saw it do that till I took it off and could see the blue the metal was turning.

Davidt2169 10-17-2012 01:23 AM

How long were you driving yours that way?

sleepyboy 10-17-2012 01:27 AM

I dunno a few weeks maybe months? Long enough to realized I shouldn't have to be flooring it just to keep up with traffic lol. After that happened I decided to install the header I had and that's when I found out the cat broke into two pieces and shoved itself down into the bottom clogging the hole up.