Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Oops my mistake (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299902)

narkotskyb 10-15-2012 02:50 PM

Oops my mistake
 
Did not know what TID $84 means - no issues here.

suss6052 10-15-2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by narkotskyb (Post 4406609)
Gents:

I'm experiencing somewhat less power/torque in my car now versus when I bought it. The situation has been going on for quite some time now and due to the overall cloud of DCT issues I blamed it on it as well. Hmm it might as well be but may not - I did some digging with my OBDII scanner and found that Ford's internal diagnostics facility (Service $06) reports somewhat high number of general engine misfires but just shy of the FAIL threshold.

TID $84 in the link:

http://imgur.com/vK7Vh

So logically it makes sense perfectly doesn't it? Engine misfires especially under load would greatly reduce power @ wheels.
Now if others with similar or somewhat similar issues could monitor this and report back would be greatly appreciated.
Please understand that this TID is just in time reading. It does not save value status so I had to refresh my app during uphill drive - ie you will have to reproduce a problematic situation first then pull the values.

Regards,
Peter

[welcome]

Are you running 87 octane? If so try a few tanks of 91-93 octane fuel and see what happens. I think its not necessarily missfiring so much as it is pulling timing to prevent pre-ignition of the fuel charge. Delayed timing = a later ignition pulse and less power. Now is it enough to be noticible, generally so, especially if climing grades.

Ford however cannot recommend that their compact economy car require premium fuel as people would balk at the cost, but at 12:1 compression it makes sense that it would take advantage of the fuel less prone to auto ignition rather than the one that is more prone to ignite earlier.

narkotskyb 10-15-2012 03:07 PM

Point - will run my self dry - almost there and repeat with Premium.

Kabigon 10-15-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by narkotskyb (Post 4406609)
Gents:

I'm experiencing somewhat less power/torque in my car now versus when I bought it. The situation has been going on for quite some time now and due to the overall cloud of DCT issues I blamed it on it as well. Hmm it might as well be but may not - I did some digging with my OBDII scanner and found that Ford's internal diagnostics facility (Service $06) reports somewhat high number of general engine misfires but just shy of the FAIL threshold.

TID $84 in the link:

http://imgur.com/vK7Vh

So logically it makes sense perfectly doesn't it? Engine misfires especially under load would greatly reduce power @ wheels.
Now if others with similar or somewhat similar issues could monitor this and report back would be greatly appreciated.
Please understand that this TID is just in time reading. It does not save value status so I had to refresh my app during uphill drive - ie you will have to reproduce a problematic situation first then pull the values.

I cannot understand how you came to the conclusion that TID $84 indicates the number of misfires, especially when the units is 'F' (temperature) and the minimum value is -40 (how can you have a negative number of misfires?).

Misfire data FYI:

$80 - Total engine misfire and catalyst damage misfire rate
$81 - Total engine misfire and emission threshold misfire rate
$84 - Inferred catalyst mid-bed temperature

flyboyike 10-15-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabigon (Post 4406667)
I cannot understand how you came to the conclusion that TID $84 indicates the number of misfires, especially when the units is 'F' (temperature).

You should hear his conclusions on transmission performance (or lack thereof).

narkotskyb 10-15-2012 03:42 PM

Oops...
it only says 'manufacturer's defined' so didn't know that.

FF4 10-15-2012 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by narkotskyb (Post 4406693)
Oops...
it only says 'manufacturer's defined' so didn't know that.

maybe you can save us all some time and stop the bogus conclusions based on data you don't even understand

VectorZ 10-15-2012 11:59 PM

Wow tough crowd, cut him a little slack, at least he's here admitting it and being humble unlike some of the idiot trolls running around here.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:23 PM.


http://www.focusfanatics.com/aboutus/copyright.asp