Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Anyone have a rattle in headliner? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299894)

Meathead 10-15-2012 01:40 PM

Anyone have a rattle in headliner?

I have a rattle in my car. I think its in the headliner, but very hard to figure out. I will mention it when i bring it infor an oil change. Didnt know if anyone else noticed it as well and had it addressed.

PratoN 10-15-2012 01:42 PM

It's probably easier to ask who doesn't have a rattle. [thumb]

pablo94sc 10-15-2012 01:57 PM

Yup. In the shop for it now along with a bunch of other things. Gotta love warranty and a great service dept.

cbdallas 10-15-2012 02:02 PM

Yep...but I only hear it when the car's cold, and the engine is right at 1200 rpm. Otherwise, it's absent. I hear it every time I cold-start the car and fast idle starts slowing down, and when I pull out of the driveway.

treoless 10-15-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meathead (Post 4406462)
I have a rattle in my car. I think its in the headliner, but very hard to figure out. I will mention it when i bring it infor an oil change. Didnt know if anyone else noticed it as well and had it addressed.

I have the same issue. The rattle goes away when I press the rear dome light or slide the moonroof shade all the way back.

Meathead 10-15-2012 02:24 PM

Mine only happens when I am not on the throttle. I dont have a sun roof. I am going to have someone drive my car while I am in the back.

Mr.Horsepower 10-15-2012 02:46 PM

Something like this happened to my daughter's 2012 Titanium (early May 2011 build.) I noticed this rattle from the headliner while driving the car from CA to the midwest, for her to start college. You could flex the headliner in the section forward of the moonroof opening, and if it was rattling while driving, pressing the headliner just forward of the moonroof up towards the roof would stop the rattle.

We took it to a dealer in Michigan who pulled the headliner down, and told us there was a failure of some special glue they used to join two pieces structurally in the headliner. They got on the phone with a Ford technician to sort it out. The glue was something unusual because the dealer couldn't get it. So, a new headliner was ordered. However, to hold things in the interim, the dealer technician installed some double sided sticky tape they use in other interior applications, and re-installed the headliner. It stopped the headliner from flexing, and ended the rattle.

That was July 2011. The dealer in Michigan has to date, still not been able to get a replacement headliner for her car. However, the double sided tape is still holding fine, and no rattles, at least the last time I was there and drove her car in July 2012.

Rememo 10-15-2012 06:09 PM

Oh yeah... along with a ton of other rattles from SO many sources. I scared the crap out of my wife the other day, 'cause the damn headliner wouldn't shut up. At the time it was rattling right above my head, so I punched it as hard as I could.

I really need to take it in, the problem is each headliner rattle location comes and goes at different times, and if the dealer comes back with "could not duplicate", I might hurt someone.

I have to say... it's 2012... Ford should know how to assemble a car much better than this. My '03 Ranger didn't have a single squeak or rattle in the 100K miles I owned it, and it went through a lot of work.

Crypticracer 10-16-2012 07:41 PM

Mines been in three times now for this. From what it it sounds like its the glue giving up, its fixed for a few days then its back at it again.

Burns098356GX 10-16-2012 09:07 PM

I think my sunglasses holder/sunroof control housing is rattling, not the headliner so much. All I have to do it touch my finger to it and it'll stop.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using FF Mobile