Focus Fanatics

Focus Fanatics (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ford Focus & General Car Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Usa focus v eu focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299801)

sleepy1263 10-14-2012 03:46 AM

Usa focus v eu focus

why is it that the European ford focus, seem to get better mpg. while they are from the same manufacture. i have the 2012 titanium 1.6. and i get roughly 48, around town. and about 56 mpg, on the motoway. i am from the uk.....

DJ2BIG 10-14-2012 04:23 AM

because our standards are different
we use US gallons
you use Imperial gallons
we do not have the diesel version either

sleepy1263 10-14-2012 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ2BIG (Post 4404187)
because our standards are different
we use US gallons
you use Imperial gallons
we do not have the diesel version either

never knew that. so how many liters in a us gallon..
and just for my curiosity, how much is a liters of diesel in the us...its 1.41 hear.
which translates to about 2.27 USD.. seem to go up by the day hear

thanks for the info my friend[read]

canadianlarry 10-14-2012 05:12 AM

In Canada we see the same thing with mileage. An American gallon is 3.78 liters while the Canadian/european gallon is 4.54. A difference of 20 percent. So our published and actual mileage ratings are naturally 20 per cent higher but obviously still really the same mileage on similarly equipped cars. The strange thing I noticed with the trip computer is that while you can change the display readouts to miles per gallon instead of liters per 100 kilometer, they use the american gallon size only, at least here in Canada. I would imagine it would be different outside of North America since the car is designed in Germany. I think I will google to see if The Imperial gallon is used in Germany. So little time, so much trivial information to look up.

sleepy1263 10-14-2012 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadianlarry (Post 4404193)
In Canada we see the same thing with mileage. An American gallon is 3.78 liters while the Canadian/european gallon is 4.54. A difference of 20 percent. So our published and actual mileage ratings are naturally 20 per cent higher but obviously still really the same mileage on similarly equipped cars. The strange thing I noticed with the trip computer is that while you can change the display readouts to miles per gallon instead of liters per 100 kilometer, they use the american gallon size only, at least here in Canada. I would imagine it would be different outside of North America since the car is designed in Germany. I think I will google to see if The Imperial gallon is used in Germany. So little time, so much trivial information to look up.

they do like to complicate things don't they, i mean a gallon. should be the same all across the the board. in the us you seem to pay Moore per liters. but in saying that i think i rather live in the USA, we get taxed to death on everything. i don't wish to get political, but our immigration doors are wide open, and our welfare system is very tempting. and me as a tax payer is paying for it...that my rant over. sorry to jump subject....lol

5characters 10-14-2012 06:52 AM

Learn something new everyday.

TheGlassMaker 10-14-2012 07:12 AM

I don't know if it's the same with the regular focus as with the ST, but we get 4 more hp in the ST. That will make the Mpg a lil' lower I would think.

sleepy1263 10-14-2012 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranger_mclaren (Post 4404217)
i don't know if it's the same with the regular focus as with the st, but we get 4 more hp in the st. That will make the mpg a lil' lower i would think.

the st....now thats a car that can kick ass

flyboyike 10-14-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepy1263 (Post 4404176)
why is it that the European ford focus, seem to get better mpg. while they are from the same manufacture. i have the 2012 titanium 1.6. and i get roughly 48, around town. and about 56 mpg, on the motoway. i am from the uk.....

Not for nothing, but the 1.6L engine isn't offered on the US Focus. If you have the 85hp version, you have an engine that's just over half as powerful as the 2.0GDI on the US models, so I would certainly hope your mileage would be considerably better.

sleepy1263 10-14-2012 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyboyike (Post 4404339)
Not for nothing, but the 1.6L engine isn't offered on the US Focus. If you have the 85hp version, you have an engine that's just over half as powerful as the 2.0GDI on the US models, so I would certainly hope your mileage would be considerably better.

this sounds like a case of mine is bigger than yours

i am well aware a 2.0L is faster than a 1.6L,, the clue is in the numbers... i have a 1.6tdci 115 hp only 400hp smaller. we also have the 2.0 model. which on our roads would compromise the mileage.. plus i think the 1.6 is adequate. for the body weight of a focus. as i have no intention of towing, or racing.