Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Technical Chat (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   belt tentioner. (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299769)

klondike jake 10-13-2012 06:48 PM

belt tentioner.

hello. can any one assist me in the removal of the serpentine belt to take off my alternator. its a zetec ,2000 yr. manual says to socket up the pully and turn clockwise. it wont go .feels like im going to break it. cant get a breaker bar and socket on it either . no clearance between the bolt and inside fender wall.

Mr.Bergner 10-13-2012 07:51 PM

I use an open end wrench (I think 15mm?) with a breaker bar attached to it (Usually have to tape it to it so it doesn't slide off). And then position it in place and push forward (counterclockwise of course).

Have you tried spraying some PB Blaster in there? Sometimes it feels like you're not really moving it much but indeed you are. Maybe get someone to test the tension on the belt while you try? And have you done it before?

oh yeah, and [welcome] to Focus Fanatics!

emsvitil 10-13-2012 08:10 PM

Jack front end up
Remove right front wheel
Remove the plastic panel under the belt from underneath.

It's 15mm.

An offset closed end or flare wrench won't slip off the nut.

Then from underneath push wrench (with extension) toward rear of car.

You can the slip the belt off the crank pulley.

klondike jake 10-13-2012 08:35 PM

are you pushing towards the front of car or towards the rear. it wants to go towards the front but it will stop within 1.5 inches of travel.

emsvitil 10-13-2012 10:22 PM

From underneath the car, with the wrench hanging down from the bolt.....

You're pushing the end of the wrench to the rear of the car.

Essentially trying to tighten the bolt will tighten the tensioner against it's internal spring.

That gives you some slack in the belt.

klondike jake 10-14-2012 01:29 AM

dosnt want to move any when pushing towards the rear of the car.

emsvitil 10-14-2012 03:12 AM

That's weird....

I just did mine because I was changing the timing belt.

How much leverage to you have? (I had about 12 inches)

klondike jake 10-14-2012 12:30 PM

moving it back towards the back of the car ,i have zero movement.is it possible that it could have been put on diff to accept a diff belt.

whynotthinkwhynot 10-14-2012 01:31 PM

Wait.... are you on the bolt inside the actual pulley, or on the bolt holding the center of the tensioner arm? You should be on the bolt in the center of the actual pulley itself, moving it clockwise will rotate the pulley up so that you can slip the belt off another pulley- usually an idler where the back of the belt rides on the pulley.

As far as belt routing, you'll have to use your head on that one. If moving the pulley up and away puts more tension on the belt, then that's obviously the wrong way to go. You might want to check to be sure that your belt routing matches what is in your manual, or at least draw it out on paper before you remove the belt.

Did someone remove AC from this car or something?

klondike jake 10-14-2012 08:19 PM

I GOT IT.i want to thank every one for your help. i feel kinda dumb,but it just needed more force than i thought to get it to finally go. thanx again.