Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum

Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/index.php)
-   MK3 Focus (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   way to charge phone and have phone outside of center counseL? (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299710)

k1ngkev1n1 10-12-2012 06:14 PM

way to charge phone and have phone outside of center counseL?

In my previous car there was an opening in the center counsel that allowed for the cable to run outside of the center counsel is there a way with the focus? or has anyone drilled a small hole for a charging cable ? curious what others have done. I would rather not used the 12v outside the center counsel.

wilsonfocus86 10-12-2012 06:37 PM

There kinda pretty much is an "out-hole"-ish but once you close the lid to the arm rest whatever length your cord is at, that's all the slack you get/have. At least that's what I know you can do/I've done.

lddavis 10-12-2012 06:40 PM

In the 2012's (I've mostly looked at the ST) there is a groove in the front side of the center console box that allows cables out.

You probably do want a notch from the top, rather than a hole, because the hole would have to be big enough for the connectors, much wider than the cable itself.

hotleadsingerguy 10-12-2012 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lddavis (Post 4402114)
In the 2012's (I've mostly looked at the ST) there is a groove in the front side of the center console box that allows cables out.

You probably do want a notch from the top, rather than a hole, because the hole would have to be big enough for the connectors, much wider than the cable itself.

Actually that slot isn't for a cable. That slot is for the lid to center and to keep the hinge safe (to keep it centered).

When you close the lid a plastic "tooth" drops down into that groove and goes all the way to the bottom. The better part is the corners of the lid don't close tightly, so I just leave the cable sitting on the corner when I close the lid.

feta_mgp 10-12-2012 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy (Post 4402548)
Actually that slot isn't for a cable. That slot is for the lid to center and to keep the hinge safe (to keep it centered).

When you close the lid a plastic "tooth" drops down into that groove and goes all the way to the bottom. The better part is the corners of the lid don't close tightly, so I just leave the cable sitting on the corner when I close the lid.

Noticed that as well but there's not even a mark on my iPod cable where I've closed it in the groove, so I usually just do that anyway.

Power Surge 10-12-2012 11:02 PM

Quote:

Different trim levels might have different consoles, but on my SE sport, I have a cable groove in mine that is large enough to fit a finger down into it and there is clearly nothing on the lid that matches up with it. It's definitely a cable groove.

hotleadsingerguy 10-12-2012 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Surge (Post 4402601)
Different trim levels might have different consoles, but on my SE sport, I have a cable groove in mine that is large enough to fit a finger down into it and there is clearly nothing on the lid that matches up with it. It's definitely a cable groove.

You talking about the direct center of the front of the console when it's open? Look at the end of your lid again...because they gave me an SE rental and it had the same exact groove as mine, and the plastic tooth was there too.

It's a way of stopping the hinge from breaking from people pushing the console horizontally.

Power Surge 10-13-2012 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy (Post 4402679)
You talking about the direct center of the front of the console when it's open? Look at the end of your lid again...because they gave me an SE rental and it had the same exact groove as mine, and the plastic tooth was there too.

It's a way of stopping the hinge from breaking from people pushing the console horizontally.

No, its definitely a cable guide. It's off center to the pass side, about 5/8" deep, and there is nothing on the lid that corresponds to it. There is also no notch like you describe on either the lid or console for "centering".

macatron 10-13-2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

This is what I do on my SEL too. It's not perfect, but at least my USB cable doesn't get messed up like it was when I tried routing out the middle of where the lid closes. This is definitely an oversight on Ford's end though because most cars offer a actual cutout for things like this (especially if all the media connections are located IN the center console).

TboneZX3 10-13-2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Power Surge (Post 4402601)

That's correct. That groove is only in the S/SE (the consoles with the fore/aft cupholders).